Virgin connect/Flybe

Old Jun 24, 19, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC; Matmid
Virgin connect/Flybe

Having read the threads a bit on this forum, firstly may I thank the contributors. As many of you know VS has set up "Virgin Connect", I have used the NQY-LHR route half a dozen times recently and found it a decent service for someone who lives on the border of Devon and Cornwall it provides a useful alternative to the EXT-LCY route, in particular because there are four flights a day.
My query is in relation to baggage allowance.
Flights on this segment are not available through the Virgin website, only Flybe. However, luggage restrictions are much greater on the Flybe site. I am looking to purchase VS from NQY to TLV once the service is up and running ( as a side issue you can only seem to do it through the App, rather than the website).
If I purchase a VS ticket ( Upper-outbound; Premium-return leg), what is the size of hand luggage acceptable? Am I bound by the BE rules or the VS ones?
Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by davidcamp6; Jun 24, 19 at 5:49 am
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Assuming this is one ticket, usually it would be the VS allowance in my experience on other tickets of this nature (DL/VS for example).

BUT hand baggage size is the real problem... the baggage bins on the Q400 or even the E175/190's of FlyBe are very small and by no means similar to what you'd get on LHR/TLV/LHR.
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
If this helps for reference. When you travel with AF/KLM on flybe codeshare:
-luggage allowance is same as AF/KL flight. So that's good.
-You get a food voucher for biscuit and water only - no choice. Rest is bob.
-If you are lucky to travel in J you may get an All-in voucher and you may also get just the biscuit+water or also nothing at all due to inconsistent logistics.
-No sky priority boarding or seating.
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
If it all on one ticket you would get the VS allowances but bear in mind that small planes = smaller over heads so they may ask you to gate check your carryon.

You can't fit a quart into a pint pot.
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you, that was my understanding, I telephoned VS to enquire, and although they could confirm the hold baggage, they didn't seem to appreciate the ridiculously small, particularly in width, hand baggage allowance on BE. They couldn't assist, this potential 50 each way fee and the fact that the call centre can't give me the online discount that is offered for the straight LHR-TLV route means I may not use VS but stick with BA/LY.
This is a shame, the potential to avoid a 3 and a half hour drive to and from LHR for my 5 or so flights to TLV each year ( plus flights in the opposite direction for my colleagues coming to the UK) was a bonus, even if the 07:00 flight back was a bit of a grind.
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
If it all on one ticket you would get the VS allowances but bear in mind that small planes = smaller over heads so they may ask you to gate check your carryon.

You can't fit a quart into a pint pot.
Indeed but its the 50 penalty I am concerned about
Old Jun 24, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
As you have discovered it is the FlyBE hand luggage allowance that will apply. However, if your bag fits their measurements you won't be subject to a 50 fee. If its going to save you a big drive, it might be worth getting a smaller bag! We have a perfectly reasonable roller bag that works for our trips.

LF
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, I decided to stay with BA as the price was cheaper even when I included, car parking and the need for a hotel. Late afternoon return flight suits me better too, the idea of getting up at 04:30 for a 7:00 departure didn't appeal to me, although I do appreciate the need for that slot to link at LHR for flights to the USA.
I shall try VS if I can, not merely because I would like to check out the Clubhouse at LHR, and I do hope the route is a success......the NQY-LHR route is always a busy one.

Search this Thread