MAN-LAX/LAS Upper vs LHR??

Old Jun 18, 19, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver...just
MAN-LAX/LAS Upper vs LHR??

Hi good folk,
I've got to take a trip out west and im based in Manchester (UK) so ideal scenario is to take the direct VS flight to LAX or LAS in Upper Class. However, ive heard its a terrible aircraft (leased to VS from Air Berlin!??!) and really isn't a great experience (this is from one of the flight girls too!)...so i've a choice to maybe get down to LHR and take the 787 experience which for an 11 hour haul is still a reasonable 'Business Class' experience...is this worth the effort for me?? Im travelling solo, but used to like the bar on VS (back in the day) and normally fly east on EK in their Business A380 so that's my benchmark.
Basically, is the Manchester service that bad i'd be best going on Aer Lingus rather than this, or as i say via LHR on VS?!
Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance
Old Jun 18, 19, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
yes VS has leased 4 ex Air Berlin A332s but they have all been refurbished and I've heard good reports of the refurbed planes.

I'd be taking schedule into consideration plus allowing extra time to get to LHR from MAN (and back on your return)
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:49 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I have never been on any of the Ex-Air Berlin planes, so can't comment; but IMHO the questions you ask can only be answered by you.

It all revolves around how much the whole flight experience contributes to your trip overall. For some the flight experience is a massive factor, for others the plane is just a metal tube that gets you from A to B.

There is no doubt that a direct flight from Manchester will be much more convenient, and the time spent getting to your chosen destination will be much shorter. But! , this choice will mean no Clubhouse experience at LHR, no Revivals and a more basic UC experience all round.

Personally, I love the LHR Clubhouse experience, but I have been there so many times that I may be tempted to fly direct and maximise my experiences at the destination. The Manchester UC experience can't be that and the fewer airports I transit through the better.

As usual though - YMMV ;-)

Nick
Old Jun 20, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: DL, HH
I live close to MAN and have taken the LHR-LAX VS flights several times in the last couple years. I agree with the comments about enjoying the VS Clubhouse, but for the first time in July I will be taking the MAN-LAX flight and return.

The travel to Euston, then car to LHR on top of an already long flight is just too much for me to not switch over to the MAN-LAX flight, I'll take any reduction in travel time I can.
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:16 am
Original Member

I would typically go out via Heathrow to enjoy the lounge and the 787 (the lounge in manchester is rubbish), and return to Manchester direct to avoid immigration, security and then connecting service in Heathrow . The refurbished planes have arguably a better seat than the standard upperclass seat, especially the ones closest to the windows
travellingjake likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 2:36 pm

I agree with Tim_T, fly out of LHR for the better aircraft and clubhouse and back to MAN when you’re likely to sleep most of the flight.
Old Jun 23, 19, 12:57 am

Programs: Flying Club
Whilst I love the clubhouse, if I could knock a few hours off my travelling, I would. Not so much the going out as I think that’s always more enjoyable, but when you are travelling home, you just want to get home!

The out London and back Manchester seems a good option though.
Old Jun 23, 19, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by MarshyM View Post
Hi good folk,
I've got to take a trip out west and im based in Manchester (UK) so ideal scenario is to take the direct VS flight to LAX or LAS in Upper Class. However, ive heard its a terrible aircraft (leased to VS from Air Berlin!??!) and really isn't a great experience (this is from one of the flight girls too!)...so i've a choice to maybe get down to LHR and take the 787 experience which for an 11 hour haul is still a reasonable 'Business Class' experience...is this worth the effort for me?? Im travelling solo, but used to like the bar on VS (back in the day) and normally fly east on EK in their Business A380 so that's my benchmark.
Basically, is the Manchester service that bad i'd be best going on Aer Lingus rather than this, or as i say via LHR on VS?!
Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance
I've flown in these airplanes when they were Air Berlin. As a solo flier, just make sure to get a side seat flush against the window on the side as the other aisle seat is a bit exposed to the aisle when lying flat. It's the same/similar seat I've sean on EY, HX, TG on some aircraft, so it's a good business class seat, but some are better than others.

Search this Thread