Issues booking Delta Business class using Flying Club

Old May 25, 19, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Issues booking Delta Business class using Flying Club

I talked to a couple of Flying Club agents today. Trying to book LAX-SYD on DL 41 in Business class. Both agents said there was availability
on Aug 12 and it priced to 75000 miles + appx $27 in taxes. However after putting the itinerary on hold and looking at the reservation on
the Delta website, it shows Premium Economy not business class. Repeated the exercise for another date and the same result: Virgin
insists its booking "Business Class" but its actually Delta Premium Economy.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old May 31, 19, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old May 31, 19, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
IIRC VS Upper Class Rewards are in the G fare bucket but on DL a G is a PE seat so that could be the cause of this. It certainly has for other people.

which cabin is the DL website allowing you to select seat in?
Old May 31, 19, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Its allowing me to choose a seat in PE.

How do I resolve this? The 75000 point redemption is for business class...
Old May 31, 19, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Iíd like to say this will be easy but I donít think it will be. They never are when partner redemptions are involved.

Speak it to VS again and ask for a supervisor rather than just an agent.

Ask them for a specific email address (not the generic one) so you can send a screen shot of the DL seat map showing its only allowing you to select PEand your VS booking confirmation that shows you booked in Business not PE.
Old May 31, 19, 4:14 pm

the Original Poster should look at reservation on Delta.com and post back the exact one-letter booking code shown

more broadly, i’d prolly ticket it to ensure availability. have a look at the ticketed reservation at virgin website. i have an active award ticket short-haul for DL and it says first class. assuming yours says business class, then start with a DM tweet to Delta w/ screenshot as step1 t getting into J.

i suspect DL is not intending to offer saver inventory, but by ticketing & then enquiring, you may be end up getting saver J that would have otherwise not been possible. could be a boon to others looking saver J to AU if they are up for a fight.

worst case would be VS refunds for free.
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Ok some further clarity. Virgin books this in R class which in fact corresponds to premium economy. On their screen however they see a small icon for Delta One, likely a glitch. Delta medallion desk confirmed that it's booked in the wrong class. A supervisor at virgin actually looked at inventory in all three classes and confirmed availability in only economy and PE none in Delta One. So it's a software glitch. Same supervisor checked the entire 2 months of August and September and found not one seat in Delta One. Still couldn't explain the pricing of 75k miles. Again a glitch. With the 30% bonus from Citi this would have been an insane deal. Members should be aware of this before transferring miles into FC to book Delta One seats. Too good to be true.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, VS Silver
This "glitch" is happening with revenue bookings, too. My husband was using Concur/CWT to book an LHR-SFO pairing and had to cancel reservations for Delta flights that appeared to be Delta One in the reservation, but came back premium economy. Delta lost the business because of this and he's afraid to try and book Delta again. He works for a big name company, as do I, and we both avoid Delta in our Concur/CWT bookings as a result of this. He went so far as to give up on the idea of loyalty to VS/Delta because it's too much hassle.

Last edited by jtadman76; Jun 8, 19 at 1:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 9, 19, 4:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Iíve booked over 2 dozen tickets via VS for DL-operated flights, and via DL for VS operated flights ó both award and revenue.

ran into this issue twice. Best advice is to get two supervisors, one from VS and one from DL, conferenced in together. They literally use the same booking system (DLís), so when they collaborate they can fix it - and also donít leave you hanging by constantly telling you to call the other.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Is it easy to get supervisors from two separate companies conferenced together?
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, VS Silver
I dunno, but I certainly don't have time to find out.

Search this Thread