Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Good price to upgrade from Economy Classic to Upper?

Old May 15, 19, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

We are flying Gatwick-Orlando in January and purchased Economy Classic tickets for £315 return per adult. We've been offered upgrade to Upper Class on the return journey (overnight) for £510 each. Would you bite at this price?
Old May 15, 19, 2:35 pm

Personally I would - you'll get a bed for the night flight, and also access to the lounge in Orlando, which is nothing special but it's nicer than sitting in the terminal. It's a route that I fly often and a sale fare return from London to Orlando is usually around £1600 in UC - so relatively speaking this is cheaper than I usually pay, pro rata.
Old May 15, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
These questions are always ridiculous. £500 for somebody earning 100k+ is a far different proposition than £500 for somebody earning 25k... And for some people paying £50 more than necessary is a waste of money.

YMMV...
Old May 15, 19, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
These questions are always ridiculous. £500 for somebody earning 100k+ is a far different proposition than £500 for somebody earning 25k... And for some people paying £50 more than necessary is a waste of money.

YMMV...
I agree that it definitely depends on your income and tolerance for spending money on premium cabins, but I don't think the questions are necessarily ridiculous.

I think there can be a reasonable sub-question though which is whether the upgrade being offered is "good price" or reasonable price relative to what you should expect to pay for the seat/upgrade.

For example, BA were offering me an upgrade from Premium Economy/WTP to Business/CW from IAD to LHR (one way) for £1,300, which is a ridiculous price for a one cabin upgrade, and especially to CW. On the other hand, provided you can afford it, £500 from Economy to Business/UC is a good price relative to the market rate for an UC seat, and I'd take that 100% of the time on a 7hr + flight.
Old May 15, 19, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

YMMV...
I apologise if my question seemed ridiculous to you but in truth My question wasn’t concerning the worth of money based on income, status etc. I simply was asking the more experienced flyers of the forum if the price I was offered was a fair price for the service I wanted to purchase. I know very little about the standard costs of premium cabins on flights and wanted to make sure that I wasn’t paying over the odds. After all, isn’t one of the points of a forum like this is to use the experience and know how of travellers who are prepared to share their knowledge and expertise. Reading the other responses to my query tells me that the majority are here to help and answer questions where the minority, that you seem to be a part of, either don’t read posts correctly or misinterpret what is being asked. I thought my question was straight forward to understand and I apologise if it did not come across that way.
Old May 15, 19, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Theirin View Post
I agree that it definitely depends on your income and tolerance for spending money on premium cabins, but I don't think the questions are necessarily ridiculous.

I think there can be a reasonable sub-question though which is whether the upgrade being offered is "good price" or reasonable price relative to what you should expect to pay for the seat/upgrade.

For example, BA were offering me an upgrade from Premium Economy/WTP to Business/CW from IAD to LHR (one way) for £1,300, which is a ridiculous price for a one cabin upgrade, and especially to CW. On the other hand, provided you can afford it, £500 from Economy to Business/UC is a good price relative to the market rate for an UC seat, and I'd take that 100% of the time on a 7hr + flight.
Thank you for such a detailed reply... we have gone for the upgrade.
travellingjake likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Personally I would - you'll get a bed for the night flight, and also access to the lounge in Orlando, which is nothing special but it's nicer than sitting in the terminal. It's a route that I fly often and a sale fare return from London to Orlando is usually around £1600 in UC - so relatively speaking this is cheaper than I usually pay, pro rata.
Thanks for the info. Being well over 6’ tall a flat bed would be great so we've gone for the upgrade. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 15, 19, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
To echo some upstream sentiment, please can we once and for all put to bed the notion that “is X a good value” a question of someone’s personal finances/budget constraint/desire for leisure. These questions are overwhelmingly intended to be “is X a good value on VS relative to other offers that VS has made for the same upgrade?”

people that post rants about how it’s a question of personal finance need to be banned. This comments add nothing. The added value comes in the form of folks who can opting as to whether X represents a good value relative to the airline’s usual offers.

YES, a 500 UG from Y to UC is pretty great on that route, relative to what is typically available.
Pittie Pup and _fx like this.
Old May 15, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
no that's an awful price to pay for the use of a flat bed seat and lounge access and bigger baggage allowance (always useful on the return)

* note content may include sarcasm

Though I would check that this is an upgrade to Upper and not tp Premium Economy

Last edited by UKtravelbear; May 15, 19 at 7:08 pm
Old May 16, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stuartgrn View Post

I apologise if my question seemed ridiculous to you but in truth My question wasn’t concerning the worth of money based on income, status etc. I simply was asking the more experienced flyers of the forum if the price I was offered was a fair price for the service I wanted to purchase. I know very little about the standard costs of premium cabins on flights and wanted to make sure that I wasn’t paying over the odds. After all, isn’t one of the points of a forum like this is to use the experience and know how of travellers who are prepared to share their knowledge and expertise. Reading the other responses to my query tells me that the majority are here to help and answer questions where the minority, that you seem to be a part of, either don’t read posts correctly or misinterpret what is being asked. I thought my question was straight forward to understand and I apologise if it did not come across that way.
My intention wasn't to mock you, but simply to point out that one person might jump at the opportunity to pay £500 and somebody else wouldn't or couldn't. And more often than not it comes down to how many multiples of £500 somebody has in their bank account...

"Worth" and "value" are very nebulous concepts that I believe to be often misused on FT. There is absolutely no way for anybody to tell you that an upgrade to Business Class is "worth" £500. They can tell you that you would get better food and drink - which you may or may not be willing to pay for. They can tell you that you get more space and legroom and a good night's sleep, and you may or may not want to pay £500 for that. But you also have to choice of reallocating that £500 to your hotel and you're in far nicer accommodation for an entire week, instead of being more comfortable for a mere 8 hours.

If your question had been "is £500 for the upgrade the standard price or better than normal?" then people could answer what appears to have actually been your question.
Old May 16, 19, 3:08 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by Stuartgrn View Post
We are flying Gatwick-Orlando in January and purchased Economy Classic tickets for £315 return per adult. We've been offered upgrade to Upper Class on the return journey (overnight) for £510 each. Would you bite at this price?
I am interested in how you were offered the upgrade. Did you book direct with Virgin ? Did VS pro-actively contact you to offer this price, or did you see it as an offer on your booking?
As had been discussed, whether it is good value is a very subjective and personal issue; but that isn't what your question was - you asked if other FT members would bite at this price. I think that is it is on the very low end of prices for upgrades for Y-UC, but it is many years since I flew from MCO, so don't know much about upgrade offers on this route. Personally I am happy to sleep in exit rows of Y, but we are all different.

Nick
Old May 16, 19, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
I am interested in how you were offered the upgrade. Did you book direct with Virgin ? Did VS pro-actively contact you to offer this price, or did you see it as an offer on your booking?
As had been discussed, whether it is good value is a very subjective and personal issue; but that isn't what your question was - you asked if other FT members would bite at this price. I think that is it is on the very low end of prices for upgrades for Y-UC, but it is many years since I flew from MCO, so don't know much about upgrade offers on this route. Personally I am happy to sleep in exit rows of Y, but we are all different.

Nick
We booked though Netflights but flight could be loaded into my flyer account straight away. I got this price from an offer displayed on my online account - originally it was an offer to move up to the top class of economy but when I clicked through it showed me the seat plan of the flight. As I hovered the mouse over each seat the upgrade price would be shown in a pop up. When I went over the upper class seats it showed at this price.
Nottingham Nick likes this.

Last edited by Stuartgrn; May 16, 19 at 3:47 am Reason: more info
Old May 16, 19, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
no that's an awful price to pay for the use of a flat bed seat and lounge access and bigger baggage allowance (always useful on the return)

* note content may include sarcasm

Though I would check that this is an upgrade to Upper and not tp Premium Economy
Hi - defiantly up to Upper Class - my return journey is now showing Upper Class and I have selected my seat. When doing the upgrade online it offered all types of upgrade to every cabin and I just selected the Upper Class seats. The only service I don't receive is the Limo but we don't need that as coming off a cruise in Cape Canaveral and hiring a car before going to the airport.
Old May 16, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic
For what it's worth, I thought your question about this price was relative to the cost of other similar upgrades. My understanding is that the cost of an upgrade depends on many, many factors so they are hard to compare. That said, it's a model and maybe someone has reverse engineered the model?

Whether the cost of an upgrade makes sense is up to more than income and subjective value of the benefits. A person with low income but high assets might be more likely to pay for one. So might time horizon. For example, if you are going to Disney (a place that has several tiers of services) you might get feel greater benefits from paying up for one of those.
Old May 16, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
My intention wasn't to mock you, but simply to point out that one person might jump at the opportunity to pay £500 and somebody else wouldn't or couldn't. And more often than not it comes down to how many multiples of £500 somebody has in their bank account...

"Worth" and "value" are very nebulous concepts that I believe to be often misused on FT. There is absolutely no way for anybody to tell you that an upgrade to Business Class is "worth" £500. They can tell you that you would get better food and drink - which you may or may not be willing to pay for. They can tell you that you get more space and legroom and a good night's sleep, and you may or may not want to pay £500 for that. But you also have to choice of reallocating that £500 to your hotel and you're in far nicer accommodation for an entire week, instead of being more comfortable for a mere 8 hours.

If your question had been "is £500 for the upgrade the standard price or better than normal?" then people could answer what appears to have actually been your question.

again - STOP with the blabber about value and worth.

this forum is about whether a deal is a good value relative to the airlines offerings, not an individuals personal finances

please ban this poster.

Search this Thread