Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

US to Asia and vice versa: Which city pairs with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I'm interested in using Virgin Atlantic flying club miles to fly with Delta (one way) either:

1.Between the US and Asia
2. Or vice versa

Im doing a RT but will be using Alaska miles for one leg. For the other, what are my options with VA miles on Delta? I know some routes are 40,000 miles one way, but what are those routes?

Notes:

I'm based in Bangkok. Departure/arrival cities that I'm interested in for Asia are Bangkok, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

For the US, Los Angeles, Seattle and New York would be convenient.

What are my options? Can I use Delta in Bangkok or do I need to use one of the other Asian cities listed above. Most critical is keeping it to 40,000 VA miles for the one way trip.

Thanks so much,
Dave
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:47 am

Delta don't fly to Bangkok or Hong Kong so you will need to depart/arrive from Shanghai if you want to use Virgin miles for Delta.

Keeping it to 40k miles will require a non-stop, so from Shanghai that means flying to/from Atlanta, LAX, Seattle or Detroit.

However - you should check the cash prices for your intended travel dates - outside of the summer period there are lots of dates where those direct delta flights are on sale for under $350 USD each way EVEN buying a one-way ticket in economy, prices at which I would strongly urge you to consider not using miles.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I appreciate your help.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wikipedia is your resource. Look at your convenient airports, scroll down to "Airlines & Destinations" and you'll see all of the direct flights offered by the various airlines.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greenarmy
Delta don't fly to Bangkok or Hong Kong so you will need to depart/arrive from Shanghai if you want to use Virgin miles for Delta.

Keeping it to 40k miles will require a non-stop, so from Shanghai that means flying to/from Atlanta, LAX, Seattle or Detroit.

However - you should check the cash prices for your intended travel dates - outside of the summer period there are lots of dates where those direct delta flights are on sale for under $350 USD each way EVEN buying a one-way ticket in economy, prices at which I would strongly urge you to consider not using miles.
PVG-ATL (and vv) is my favorite Delta flight because it is well timed, and the 777 is very comfortable in economy (I like to sit towards the back because this maximizes my chance of an empty middle). That having been said, if you don't want to go to Atlanta, and your award doesn't permit connections, maybe this isn't such a good idea.

As such, I agree about using cash. I usually pay around $500 each way between PVG and JAX (via ATL), which I think is a good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.