Mile upgrade charge from JFK to LHR

Old Apr 22, 19, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
Mile upgrade charge from JFK to LHR

My new employer has an Economy-only travel policy but for the last 5 trips I've been able to upgrade the overnight US to UK leg of the trip to Premium Economy using Virgin Miles.

Yesterday I called to do the same on my latest trip and was quoted $188 in taxes to do this. Has there been come change in the US tax system recently to explain this?
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Surcharge, not taxes...

Either you misunderstood, or the agent was being very naughty in blaming "tax" instead of "carrier-imposed surcharge".
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
The main difference will be the higher Carrier Imposed Surcharge (YQ) between Economy ticket paid and new ticket; there may or may not also be a phone in fee tacked on.
Either way, the $188 seems too high. Looking at current YQ levels the extra to the ticket OP describes is around 55 (+ the miles + possibly any phone fees). Bear in my this is an area where it is very easy for the phone agents to do something which kicks out the wrong answer.
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
Thanks for the replies. I did wonder if it was a case of 'ring back later for the right answer'.

Search this Thread