How to find fare code

Old Apr 5, 19, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA Ppro, Hilton Gold
How to find fare code

Booking a trip to Australia and looking at a VS/VA itinerary. First time booking with VS so I'm a newbie...tried to research how I can see my fare code when booking and I think I found it, but want to make sure. In the Fare Conditions while booking, I see the following codes (one for each way).

QLUF0SMN
MLUF0SMN

Am I reading this right that it's Q fare class on the way there and M fare class on the way back? Sorry for the basic question, but can't easily find the answer and just want to be sure. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
It's hard to tell before booking. Ultimately, theres a couple of ways, some more accurate than others.

First of all, someone kindly shared a snippet of what these far conditions mean on V-Flyer. See here.

Here's some of the methods I use:

If both of the first letters match a fare code that you know exists, such as K, H, S and W for Premium and the price matches roughly what you think that fare would be - then it's probably that. For basic returns from A to B, these are usually simple to de-code. Anything involving multiple cabins, partner airlines etc don not fit into this category and that method isn't too reliable.

If you know how to use the ITA matrix, use that to search for a specific fare code and see if it matches what the website says. If it does, then you know what you're getting.

If you've already booked, the VS app shows the fare code under your name next to your assigned seat number. You can also view it by requesting a booking confirmation through manage my booking on the website, but this only works properly if you've booked directly through VS. You can't see the fare bucket if you've booked through a travel agent such as Flight Centre or Expedia.

Finally, for the sake of being sure, you can call and request specific fares. It takes a bit of extra legwork for the phone agent, but I do this all the time. You can then place it on hold for up to 72 hours - just to mull it over if need be.

Search this Thread