Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Club partners now lists AF and KL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold
Flying Club partners now lists AF and KL

These are for earn only (no spending). AF page says one can only earn on VS-marketed, AF-operated flights. KL page https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en/flying-club/partners/airlines/klm.html is contradictory - at the top it says all KL flights can earn, but in the T&Cs it says only on VS-marketed codeshares.

I hope that in the not too distant future we will be able to earn on AF and KL marketed/operated flights without ambiguity!
Lewis42, Theirin and Jma12 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by dhring
These are for earn only (no spending). AF page says one can only earn on VS-marketed, AF-operated flights. KL page https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en/flying-club/partners/airlines/klm.html is contradictory - at the top it says all KL flights can earn, but in the T&Cs it says only on VS-marketed codeshares.

I hope that in the not too distant future we will be able to earn on AF and KL marketed/operated flights without ambiguity!
Also seems to be missing First Class on Air France
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:15 am

How can they get such an important detail mixed up like that... shambolic. Good to see that progress is being made towards them being partners though.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold
Apparently the codeshare agreement was announced today: https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/news...re-partnership =
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:54 am

No spending options on AF and KL either. Getting bored of the limitations of the VS network and never getting the right availability on ANA. It would be good to see better airline partner spending options.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:00 pm

The spending options should go live once the JV is fully approved, which shouldn't be too much longer hopefully. Other than ANA and DL I do find VS redemption partners underwhelming - I wish you could redeem premium cabins to Singapore instead of just economy.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I was hoping for earn and burn option as well... so disappointed. Maybe AF/KL doesn't want non ST members to get access to their award inventory..
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:22 pm

Once the JV is fully approved (it hasn't been as of yet, because US regulators haven't approved it), it's pretty certain you'll be able to redeem on AF/KL. All they've done is launch a codeshare ahead of the JV getting final approval. They could always have just waited so that we couldn't even earn miles with AF/KL until the summer instead.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Theirin
Once the JV is fully approved (it hasn't been as of yet, because US regulators haven't approved it), it's pretty certain you'll be able to redeem on AF/KL. All they've done is launch a codeshare ahead of the JV getting final approval. They could always have just waited so that we couldn't even earn miles with AF/KL until the summer instead.
I am guessing the KL earn is an error.. only the codeshare flight can earn miles.

Even after the JV approval, I think FC miles will only allow to redeem on the codeshare routes similar to the CA partnership.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:22 am

Hmm, I don't think so. CA don't own a significant chunk of VS, aren't in a JV with VS, and nor are they closely tied up with VS's largest ownership stake in DL. I'm expecting to see pretty wide ranging redemption similar to what is currently available on DL, and I'll be disappointed if there's less than that. If you can only redeem on codeshares it would make the whole process and 31% stake a bit of a waste of time.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Some people are a little too impatient.

The full benefits of the JV will only come once the US Authorities have approved it.

VS and AF-KL obviously feel comfortable taking this first step based on the EU approval but not the full step of earn and spend until the US comes through.

Having shares in an airline is not required to have code shares or to earn miles. VS has an earn agreement with SAS for example and an earn and spend with Air New Zealand yet does not codeshare with them.
Theirin likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: VS Gold
VS have a couple of codeshares with NZ

But your point is still correct of course.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Some people are a little too impatient.

The full benefits of the JV will only come once the US Authorities have approved it.

VS and AF-KL obviously feel comfortable taking this first step based on the EU approval but not the full step of earn and spend until the US comes through.

Having shares in an airline is not required to have code shares or to earn miles. VS has an earn agreement with SAS for example and an earn and spend with Air New Zealand yet does not codeshare with them.
Agreed - I see this as a nice surprise at this point as I wasn't expecting to see more movement in this area before April ish. Redemptions across AF/KL represent a massive expansion in both earnings and redemptions, so the payoff should be worth the wait.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:01 am

Anyone know if this means I can now earn KL miles flying VS metal?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by aristoph
Anyone know if this means I can now earn KL miles flying VS metal?
You can IF you book the Virgin flight with a KLM flight number via the KLM website.

If your ticket has a VS flight number you won't earn anything YET. You need to wait until the US Government approves the joint venture agreement, at which point it will be possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.