Air miles/card bonus?

Old Mar 2, 19, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Club
Air miles/card bonus?

Not sure if anyone knows this as it hasnít happened yet . . .

With the last credit card (mbna amex from memory) every month on my statement I got X amount of miles and they were automatically transferred across to my flying club account. On some random months they used to give bonus miles based on spend. Never knew why or how it worked but occasionally they were they. Canít how many but Iíd guess it was 20% to 30% extra.

does anyone know if this will happen with the new MasterCard? Iíve had it since August and the only time Iíve had bonus miles was when there was a Bicester Village thing in November.
Old Mar 2, 19, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
There were never any random bonuses.

in all my years of having the VS MBNA card I never got a a random bonus
Old Mar 3, 19, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
There were never any random bonuses.

in all my years of having the VS MBNA card I never got a a random bonus
Yes there were. I had the card for years, 8 to 10 years maybe and every month I would have my statement with miles on it, some months I would have Ďbonusí miles where I got a lot more. This was totally random as Iíd never know when or why.

I remember reading on a forum (here maybe) about holding your miles back to switch them over in the bonus months, something I never knew how to do because mine just transferred over automatically on the day of my statement each month.
Old Mar 6, 19, 8:45 am

the bonus would be for any bonus virgin atlantic spend...
Old Mar 7, 19, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Vivalasvegas View Post

Yes there were. I had the card for years, 8 to 10 years maybe and every month I would have my statement with miles on it, some months I would have Ďbonusí miles where I got a lot more. This was totally random as Iíd never know when or why.

I remember reading on a forum (here maybe) about holding your miles back to switch them over in the bonus months, something I never knew how to do because mine just transferred over automatically on the day of my statement each month.
Thinking back on this

It's possible that in the past that the MBNA VS Amex gave bonus miles for certain transactions - double for using the card to buy a VS flight for example. I don't have my statements from that far back though to double check

The only cards I know where you actively have to transfer miles to an airline account - thus able to wait until they offered a bonus - was something like the directly issued Amex cards where you collected mileage rewards.

Cards tied to a brand such as the BA AMEX drop the miles into your BAEC on a monthly basis so no bonuses.
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Thinking back on this

It's possible that in the past that the MBNA VS Amex gave bonus miles for certain transactions - double for using the card to buy a VS flight for example. I don't have my statements from that far back though to double check

The only cards I know where you actively have to transfer miles to an airline account - thus able to wait until they offered a bonus - was something like the directly issued Amex cards where you collected mileage rewards.

Cards tied to a brand such as the BA AMEX drop the miles into your BAEC on a monthly basis so no bonuses.
The flight one certainly seems plausible and there were probably other methods as well, I just canít figure out what. I remember getting quite a few bonus miles maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Iíve just had my new statement and thereís a section there that says Ďbonus milesí. I wonder if weíll ever see them for something.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Just bumping this as wonder if anyone else has had any bonuses this month? My statement is the 8th of every month and this month I’ve earns 17,528.85 miles and got a bonus added of 3018.09!

It says ‘retailer promotion bonus miles’.

No idea what it’s for, can’t recall any email or anything but it must be for something. Anyway happy to have them :-)

Search this Thread