Using miles to upgrade or saving for flight

Old Feb 28, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Using miles to upgrade or saving for flight

mrs u and I are flying to mco, is it worth using 11000 each to go from ce to pe outbound as a treat or save for future flight in hope of reducing cost via miles and money feature ?
Old Feb 28, 19, 9:25 am

In my personal experience, I've often found miles + money unavailable on MCO flights. I think 22,000 miles total to upgrade to Premium is worth it personally, and that's the option I would take.
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
11k miles is worth around 50-60 quid off a future flight. So an upgrade would give you a lot more value for your miles.

So yes I think the upgrade route would be better value. Remember though that you'll also have some extra VS fees to pay as well as additional APD
Old Feb 28, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
11k miles is worth around 50-60 quid off a future flight. So an upgrade would give you a lot more value for your miles.

So yes I think the upgrade route would be better value. Remember though that you'll also have some extra VS fees to pay as well as additional APD
The extra APD for "premium" certainly makes it harder to see the value in PE upgrades. More VS surcharges as well. I prefer simply paying for an extra legroom seat in Y.

11,000 miles isn't that far away from a one-way reward ticket, which depending on the route / dates, can still provide good value versus a cash fare. (the other one-way could be a cheap Norwegian flight or something) Of course the OP may have a much healthier mileage balance.

Search this Thread