Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Two people flying to USA. One now wants to not return

Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I have booked economy returns direct with virgin to usa from uk travelling with my daughter.
She now wishes to go on to central america and not come back with me.
Should i inform virgin she will be a no show. eg. cancel her return leg?
she can get a one way home from central america for about Ł200 so probably not worth paying to change date of her return.
Thanks for any advice
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you can change her ticket for less than Ł200, just discard the return. I would notify VS very close to departure of the return. While there is unlikely to be an airfare refund, you are eligible for a refund of the taxes less an administrative fee. No reason not to obtain those. Additionally, if the return is cancelled or delayed significantly, she may cancel for a full refund. As you are traveling on that flight, you will be monitoring it anyway.

Calling now will cause her ticket to be refared and that is likely a great deal more expensive.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

thanks for the response. the flight out has already been changed.
so maybe let virgin/delta know the day before the flight?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There's no need to inform the airline. Just no-show and avoid any potential negative consequences of talking to the airline in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Couple of times I’ve done this I just show up at the airport and tell the other person is sick and making alternative arrangements when the are better. Once the airline balked so I went into a graphic description of the alleged symptoms and that resolved the issue.
trooper and citygourmande like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:55 pm

Also, if for some reason there is any significant schedule change or IRROP in your return flight, you may be able to get a refund of the return. For that reason I would not notify them until the day of departure.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
Also, if for some reason there is any significant schedule change or IRROP in your return flight, you may be able to get a refund of the return. For that reason I would not notify them until the day of departure.
Some other people will check-in online using a partner frequent flyer account and hope for a glitch that earns them miles for the no-show.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Some other people will check-in online using a partner frequent flyer account and hope for a glitch that earns them miles for the no-show.
Also, if you check the person in, the chances of the seat next to you remaining vacant will increase. But don't bank on it - they would be well within their rights to give it away after gate closure.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, don't count on being able to move into her seat. Be sure that you have a good seat for traveling by yourself. For instance if she has aisle and your center, when she no shows her aisle seat will be assigned to someone else at the gate and you sill be stuck in the middle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.