FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Clubhouse entry (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1955862-clubhouse-entry.html)

PaulH1 Feb 12, 2019 1:51 am

Clubhouse entry

Anyone with any knowledge of Clubhouse entry policy would be appreciated.
i am a Flying club Gold which allows myself and one guest entry into LHR clubhouse
If both myself and my wife book in upper class I believe we can take a guest in each so entry for 4
however we was planning on travelling as a family of five
would my Gold card allow someone into clubhouse separately and because 2 upper class seats booked allows another 4 or would we have to pay entry price for one person ?
Hope this question makes sense it is quite hard to word, thanks

SlimpyJones Feb 12, 2019 4:02 am

If I'm understanding you correctly, being in Upper and being Gold doesn't entitle you to two guests. Only one guest per eligible person.

So yes unfortunately you'd need to try and buy entry for the fifth member of your party, or by luck find someone else on that flight and see if they can guest you in!

PaulH1 Feb 12, 2019 4:31 am

Yes you do understand me correctly and thank you for your reply

Thats a shame that in effect the Gold card clubhouse entry benefit becomes an obsolete benefit if you book in upper class anyway.

i was thinking the other option would be to book my wife and one son in upper class so they would get entry for 4 and I use my Gold card to gain entry however I would sit in upper class, not my son.

Would this be allowed or could it cause an issue onboard ?

UKtravelbear Feb 12, 2019 6:01 am

How old is your son?

PaulH1 Feb 12, 2019 6:50 am

3 sons will be joining us aged 22,20,17

craigthemif Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

You might be wanting the extra miles, etc. for yourself, but you can book
  • Wife + 1 son in Upper Class
  • 2 sons in PE / Y
  • Yourself in PE / Y
That way the two UC booked passengers can guest your other two sons, and you enter with your Gold card. Obviously you would simply sit in UC whilst the son is sent to the back. VS won't care how families sort it out amongst themselves, although might frown on frequent seat swapping throughout the flight.

rsqrott Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am

Craigthemif's plan is a good one.

Originally Posted by PaulH1 (Post 30768179)
Thats a shame that in effect the Gold card clubhouse entry benefit becomes an obsolete benefit if you book in upper class anyway.

Many of the Gold benefits become redundant if you book upper class. But it's so nice to have them when you're flying in the back of the plane :)

One thing to note, if you planned to use the Arrivals lounge upon your return to LHR. Only VS Gold and upper class passengers get free entry, there's a charge for guests.

PaulH1 Feb 12, 2019 10:23 am

Great thanks for all your replies
Good thought about arrivals lounge I hadn't even thought about that

UKtravelbear Feb 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Since when was it possible to pay to access revivals at LHR?

And the crew won’t have a problem with you swapping with a son to sit in UC but they will put a stop to any cabin creep of inviting them up to UC for a drink. You can usually have one up for a quick drink but that’s the limit and even then it will be for a very short time.

ijgordon Feb 12, 2019 3:02 pm

It sounded to me like OP wants to merely swap upon boarding -- i.e., take the UC seat that was booked under his son's name. I don't even think you need to bring it to the crew's attention.

As for passengers crossing cabins to visit during the flight, I'm surprised the FAs would even allow this at all, but I suppose if you ask discreetly and, more importantly, behave discreetly about it, maybe it's okay (I'm sure many will disagree). That said, FAA regulations on international flights TO the U.S. technically require passengers to remain in their ticketed cabins. I've never had a problem taking a stroll from F/J back through the plane for exercise, but be careful about congregating near galleys/lavs.

But again, I don't think anything the OP said suggested he was looking to do this.

rsqrott Feb 14, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30770280)
Since when was it possible to pay to access revivals at LHR?

October 2017, I was in the business area part of Revivals, trying to sort out some oversights (ie dumbest travel related mistakes). While I was there two gentlemen entered the lounge. One explained to the woman at the desk that he was gold and wanted to bring a guest in and she said that it would cost 50 pounds for his guest.
So perhaps the policy has changed, or the woman at the desk was incorrect? I have never personally tried to bring a guest into Revivals.

slinky09 Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Revivals has never had a guest policy other than payment

PaulH1 Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Correct. I am Gold and was travelling with my wife in PE from Hong Kong to LHR
Recently.

We landed at 5.00 am and tried to get breakfast in revivals lounge and was refused entry

i was told I could go in but not my wife unless she paid £30 ish from memory
didnt bother as we only wanted a cup of tea and a bacon roll

I explained we have often travel from Dubai to LHR with Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class but lounge is always closed when we land and are never able to use it when eligible so wouldnthey make an exception and told no exceptions

No big deal but a little disappointing there was no goodwill as lounge was completely empty