Which flight to LHR? JFK or EWR?

Old Jan 28, 19, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Which flight to LHR? JFK or EWR?

Hi. We are looking at UC award tickets to London from the New York area and I see two different aircraft available depending on airport (I think the A340 out of JK and the A330 out of EWR). Are the UC seats the same or is one aircraft better than the other? I have read conflicting reviews and would appreciate any feedback. Maybe some of the reviews I read were old but some of them had me convinced the UC seats were so bad that I started to consider PE instead!

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
The seats are not bad just that people have differing opinions on them. Some people don’t like that you have to get out of the seat to flip it over to turn it into a bed (though the cabin crew will do it for you it’s very easy to do it yourself) whilst others have no problem at all.

And a flat bed has to be better than a PE seat. Also you’ll have other facilities such as lounges at both ends and a bigger luggage allowance if you fly Upper..

Also VS run a mix of planes in the route and you cant always say it’s an A330 from EWR and and A340 from JfK a dummy booking for a random day in September shows a mix of the 330 and 340 ex JFK.

Rather than look ar aircraft type look at which airport airport is easier for you to get to and the flight times best for your schedule not only for departure from NYC but for arrival at LHR. and ex JFK you’ll also have the option of DeltaOne as well.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Joseph View Post
Hi. We are looking at UC award tickets to London from the New York area and I see two different aircraft available depending on airport (I think the A340 out of JK and the A330 out of EWR). Are the UC seats the same or is one aircraft better than the other? I have read conflicting reviews and would appreciate any feedback. Maybe some of the reviews I read were old but some of them had me convinced the UC seats were so bad that I started to consider PE instead!

Thanks!
Rather than aircraft type, I personally prefer the daytime flight from JFK. You would actually be awake to appreciate the food and service, rather than struggling to get a couple of hours sleep on a 6-hour flight.

I'll never understand why some bloggers hate on the VS UC seat, often just because it faces away from the window. I think they're great.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:48 am

My only major issue with the seat is the very small recline without turning it into a full bed. If you could recline more (still in a sitting position) without flipping it over into a bed I think it would improve the seat almost 100%.

Search this Thread