Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

How to use points to get to europe from Australia in biz?

How to use points to get to europe from Australia in biz?

Old Jan 22, 19, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Question How to use points to get to europe from Australia in biz?

How should I use 174,000 points and 220,000 AMEX points (AU) to get from Sydney to Europe for 4 people in business class?
I can transfer the AMEX points to Air New Zealand (100-1), Asia miles, Etihad guest, Emirates(4-3), malaysia enrich, Thai, krisflyer, Velocity and virgin atlantic flying club. (All transfers 1-1 except for 2 I noted on)

It seems availability is a key problem here.

Thanks, Addison
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AddictedSon Welcome to FT (Aussie branch)

Originally Posted by AddictedSon View Post
How should I use 174,000 points and 220,000 AMEX points (AU) to get from Sydney to Europe for 4 people in business class?
I can transfer the AMEX points to Air New Zealand (100-1), Asia miles, Etihad guest, Emirates(4-3), Malaysia enrich, Thai, krisflyer, Velocity and Virgin Atlantic flying club. (All transfers 1-1 except for 2 I noted on)

It seems availability is a key problem here.
You have 174,000 Virgin Atlantic ff points?
Looking for 4 on the same flight is domed to fail
Look for 1 at time even on different days/routes/airlines/airports as one ways.
Maybe with a stopover, so 2 awards Au--->Eu.
Long haul business class ward from Australia are always hard. Do a search for every airline ffp if you can. For some you may have to join.
Look at the sub forums for each airline.
Will not be easy.
Awardhacker link--->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SYD&t...=1&c=j&s=1&p=0 (Not all airlines)

Credit card transfer links
Amex MR Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?

I have received a letter from Amex Au that the conversion rate is to be dramatically reduced.

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 23, 19 at 1:02 am
Old Jan 23, 19, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Welcome to flyer talk.

Where in Europe do you want to go?

Where are your 174000 non Amex points? I assume VIrgin Atlantic because of where you posted your question. It might (repeat might) make sense to consolidate your MR points in VS but not until after you have done a lot of investigations yourself into airlines, routes and availability.

But even if you consolidated into VS 394,000 isn’t a lot to get four preople across half the world and back in business.

Eeconomy might possibly be manageable depending on route but that’s atill a big ask.

And you could also be looking at a lot of paid cash flights.

many airlines have peak and off peak rates so when you want to fly matters.

For example a VS reward return from LHr-JFK is 95k miles per person off peak and 115k peak plus 450 - 650 in government taxes, airport fees and airline surcharges depending on actual flights chosen.

LHR-HKG return is 115k off and 135k points peak plus taxes, fees and surcharges

A V Australia’s reward business flight from SYD to HKG is according to their page on the VS website 188k miles again plus taxes, fees and surcharges.

And that depends on their being available reward seats on the dates you want.

I’m afraid that you are going to be disappointed and frustrated in trying to use your miles even for one person let alone for 4 given your geographical starting point.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 23, 19, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Australia <--> Europe in Business Class using miles is like searching for unicorns. 4 people? Forget about it. You will also need substantially more miles. Keep a lookout for fare sales or mistake fares to get you to Europe or at least to North America or Asia...

It also seems to be a bad idea to collect Virgin Atlantic miles when living somewhere not served by VS. (given the known difficulties of booking partners) I suppose Virgin Australia offers a few options.
Old Jan 23, 19, 2:57 am
Original Poster

I haven't transferred the AMEX points to anywhere yet.
And I have got the return trip covered, I just need one way to Europe probably UK.

A few weeks ago, I actually found a decent route through Shanghai for 4 people using 230,000 Virgin atlantic points for the Shanghai to London part in biz. Then I would transfer the remaining 164,000 AMEX to asia miles and buy 36000 asia miles to cover Sydney to Shanghai for 200,000 asia miles on Qantas biz.

Unfortunately, the availability was gone a few days after and now I can't figure out how to use these points.
Old Jan 23, 19, 2:58 am
Original Poster

I had these points from a long time ago when Virgin Atlantic still flew from Sydney to Hong Kong.
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good you have flights back to Au. With ff miles?
When do you want to travel?

Then I would transfer the remaining 164,000 AMEX to asia miles and buy 36000 asia miles to cover Sydney to Shanghai for 200,000 asia miles on Qantas biz.
Have you found 4 biz award seats on QF with CX Asia miles?

VA fly SYD/MEL to HKG
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Good you have flights back to Au. With ff miles?
When do you want to travel?

Have you found 4 biz award seats on QF with CX Asia miles?

VA fly SYD/MEL to HKG
I found a really special deal back to AU using money.
I'm planning to travel in September, there was availability on QF, but was gone a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:23 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I had these points from a long time ago when Virgin Atlantic still flew from Sydney to Hong Kong.
If you haven't already done so, you may want to check their expiry date; and then make sure you keep them valid.

Nick
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
If you haven't already done so, you may want to check their expiry date; and then make sure you keep them valid.

Nick
The points expire in June of this year, that's also one of the reasons why I want to use them.
Old Jan 23, 19, 5:29 am

You have enough points in Amex to transfer to KrisFlyer and use either singapore metal or star alliance partners to get 2 people up to europe in business. There will be availibility, even if it is on Air China or Thai, so not world leading but nonetheless better than in Economy.

Your bigger problem is that you have a bunch of points already in VFC, and in September award availability on Virgin flights to HKG and PVG is essentially non existent in premium or upper.
You may be able to find space on Air China's Beijing to London flight and redeem in business but this is neither a particularly good redemption, nor leaves you with enough miles to get from Aus to China other than in Economy.

Search this Thread