Mileage companion seat awards.

Old Jan 22, 19, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Mileage companion seat awards.

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on the companion seat awards, but the ones for which you spend miles on - not any of the various companion vouchers.

They are found on the third tab along on the VFC website on spending miles on their own flights (I cannot supply the link as too few posts)

I want to book the revenue ticket through amex travel, not direct with virgin, for amex offers reasons.
When I tweeted into the Virgin twitter account, they said that booking with a travel agent was no problem and that VFC can add a companion seat to that booking (availability dependant)

So I booked, received email confirmation, waited 30 mins or so, and that ticket had appeared in my VFC account. I ring up VFC to add the companion seat and they say its not possible, due to not booking through Virgin.
Does anyone have experience of this?
Are twitter wrong or do I need to do some HUACA'ing?

EDIT: Is it possible that the agents are correctly applying the rules but for the voucher companion seat? Do the voucher ones require a virgin booked ticket?

(The revenue ticket is in economy classic which is explicitly said to be valid in all booking classes so that should'nt be the issue)

Thanks for your help and thoughts.

Last edited by greenarmy; Jan 22, 19 at 4:01 pm Reason: Extra Question
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Try HUACA.

However I can see how VS might not be able to change a ticket issued by a travel agent, in order to add a companion. And I don't quite see how a companion ticket could be issued on its own, since you could then go and cancel the originally-booked ticket (leaving the cheaper "companion" ticket in place). But I'm just speculating...
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Try HUACA.

However I can see how VS might not be able to change a ticket issued by a travel agent, in order to add a companion. And I don't quite see how a companion ticket could be issued on its own, since you could then go and cancel the originally-booked ticket (leaving the cheaper "companion" ticket in place). But I'm just speculating...
Indeed I can see how Virgin could not alter the Revenue ticket but I would also argue that it isn't really being altered? Alas...
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:36 pm

I was able to upgrade one VS segment to PE with miles even though the ticket was booked with Expedia. It may take some going back and forth (took me three agents to secure the upgrade) but if they're willing to put in the effort they can alter a ticket booked with an agency. In my case the third agent put me on hold on and off while she spoke to ticketing. Getting the upgrade approved with the correct fees took the longest time but once it was approved the ticket was modified instantly.
Nottingham Nick likes this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Update: Twitter are right: as long as it is a published Virgin fare and not a special travel agent only one.. 4th agent required.. i will be dropping them a note to about this..

Search this Thread