Do paid upgrades change fare type?

Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do paid upgrades change fare type?

I didn't find an answer via subforum search, so I'm hoping someone here knows the answer or can link me to the proper thread.

If I'm able to upgrade a PE K fare at checkin in ATL, will it in fact become one of Z/I/D/C/J?

Asking as I would like for my DL 2MM flight in a few weeks be on DL metal ATL-ICN, rather than on the connecting KE ICN-SYD flight.

Silly, I know... *shrug*
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IIRC paid airport upgrades leave you with your original fare, but you are simply issued a boarding pass for Upper Class. (as an op-up would do...)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
  • Paid upgrades (I.e. cash upgrades), for me have always gone into Z, no matter the cost of them. I have always earned Z Miles & Tier Points for these too.
  • Miles upgrades go into G and you usually have to chase for the underlying fare Miles/Tier Points - although I think the computer has become smarter now and should reward the underlying fare.
  • Op-Up's go into G, but one time I had an outstation do it wrong and they put it in Z.
Happy to be corrected here, but this is based on my experience of upgrade hunting, quite extensively.
littlefish and craigthemif like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.