Difficulty booking Virgin/BA itinerary

Old Jan 13, 19, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Difficulty booking Virgin/BA itinerary

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum to post but I'm starting here. I'm trying to book the attached Virgin/BA itinerary which ITA gives me, and I can't get it to come up as bookable on the Virgin website, on BA, on expedia, nor on chase travel portal. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I would book this? Thanks!

Itinerary
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did VS say when you called?

This is likely a ticket which will need to be manually booked.
Old Jan 13, 19, 1:48 pm

You simply need to call VS. I have booked AMS-HKG using the BA connection before and it was only possible over the phone. The callcenter is completely comfortable with it.
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold, TK Elite Plus
I booked a very similar, (but opposite way, BUD-JFK rt). Google flights gave me an OTA to book at. For me, both legs on BA are on class "I"
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What did VS say when you called?

This is likely a ticket which will need to be manually booked.
i actually haven't called anyone, everything i tried so far was on the websites of the airlines and travel sites I mentioned
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by e30st View Post
I booked a very similar, (but opposite way, BUD-JFK rt). Google flights gave me an OTA to book at. For me, both legs on BA are on class "I"
how was the flight in biz on Virgin and BA? I haven't flown on either before. Did you book it by calling Virgin?
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by dpakman91 View Post
how was the flight in biz on Virgin and BA? I haven't flown on either before. Did you book it by calling Virgin?
I'm flying out on Saturday. Previously I only flew BA on bizclass. Intraeuropean flights are nothing special. I booked through an OTA from google flights.
Old Jan 14, 19, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by dpakman91 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum to post but I'm starting here. I'm trying to book the attached Virgin/BA itinerary which ITA gives me, and I can't get it to come up as bookable on the Virgin website, on BA, on expedia, nor on chase travel portal. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I would book this? Thanks!

Itinerary
This is bookable with bookwithmatrix.com, over the phone, or through an online travel agent like Priceline. For example (same situation, different booking class):

Old Jan 17, 19, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had similar issues getting a JFK-LHR-GVA VS/BA itinerary in business class that I found on Google flights. The one place online it showed up was the regular Amex Travel website, but then it disappeared. The VS segments booked in Z inventory, and when I searched JFK-GVA via LHR on ExpertFlyer, it showed no Z availability on the JFK-LHR segment, even though there was plenty when just looking at JFK-LHR. I don't know if this was intentional married segment logic kicking in, but I suspect it was what was preventing the OTAs from being able to find the space. Even multi-city searches didn't work, and I tried several OTAs (not Bookwithmatrix).

Ultimately, I called Amex Platinum Travel Services, and they had no problems booking the space I wanted. Unfortunately there was no discount via the International Airline Program, even though both VS and BA participate. I suspect I could have saved the $39 Amex booking fee by calling VS directly, although I don't know if they charge a phone booking fee also. Plus Amex already has my pax info, so it saved probably 10 minutes + any hold time.

Search this Thread