LHR-JNB 787 Premium vs Upper

Old Jan 9, 19, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR-JNB 787 Premium vs Upper

Hello there. This is my first time posting in the VS forum (I'm normally found in the BA forums) so I hope it's not a question that's been asked a million times before. I recently booked LHR-JNB-VFA return in economy and used Amex MR points to bump the long hauls up to Premium, which I'm very pleased about (~100 tax and 22,400 points). Availability has appeared in Upper and I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading further. It'd be another ~30,000 points each way, but the seat seems cramped and only +1" wider. Presently I've nobody sitting next to me either way in Premium.

Also, I'm waiting on a status match to Flying Club Gold; is there any greater likelihood of an upgrade as a result (the Premium cabin is about half full, with about 30 days til I fly).

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Well welcome!

Of course you can't guarentee that the currently vacant seat next to you will remain vacant.

Personally I would upgrade to UC because you'd get the CH and revivals at LHR and more miles and tier points. YOu also get a lay flat seat. I've not foun the seats to be particilarly cramped and of course it's always good to be able to recline back more than you can in PE an also turn it into a flat bed.

As to beign gold like BA VS dosen't upgrade just because there is space avaiable but because it has to because it has over booked. So you' be relying on Y being overbooke to have to move people into PE and thus have to move people into UC but you won't know that until the day. You could always ask about on the day cash or miles upgrades at the airport (unlike BA VS does do miles upgrades at airports) Of course being gold would move you up the list but so does having a paid W or S fare
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks UKtravelbear. If the status match comes through, will I have access to the clubhouse and revivals? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Yes you will plus whatever the lounge is at JNB (he types from the LHR CH where he is having a vesper martini and a plate of salmon - the food of travelling bears!)
armouredant likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: VS Gold
JNB has a Clubhouse :-)
armouredant likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:40 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Diamond
Absolutely worth the upgrade. Premium is good, but it is a 12 hour flight and the flatbed in Upper is better. Also in Upper all seats are directly on to the aisle. Whereas in Premium if your seat buddy wants to use the bathroom they either have to climb over you or wake you up to get out (unless you manage to nab the bulkhead)

Search this Thread