How to find VS Upgrade "G" Space for Upper Class

Old Jan 4, 19, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum
How to find VS Upgrade "G" Space for Upper Class

Hello fellow flyers!

I've got a Delta ticket with a codeshare on VS coming up the first week of March.
I also have quite a bit of SkyMiles to burn so I'm looking at upgrading it.

VS tells me that their upgrade space "G" must be available on their side.
Delta tells me if VS has the space, then Delta can see it too and grab it.

The only problem of course is that it's not available...
Any tips or tricks for finding it?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:43 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
There are loads of threads about finding reward space, but the simple answer is ‘ Be Persistent’

Over the years many have tried to work out if there are any patterns / days / times / quantities of G’s being released - all without success.

Just keep checking, and as son as you see one. Grab it.

It may depend how close it is to the Easter holidays if, when or whether any more G’s are released

Edit - I remember posts about setting up a ‘Seat alert’ on Expertflyer but can’t vouch for how fast or accurate that is.
Nick
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by Nottingham Nick; Jan 4, 19 at 9:54 am
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Obviously the chances of finding award space decrease substantially when limited to a single already-purchased flight.
Old Jan 5, 19, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Obviously the chances of finding award space decrease substantially when limited to a single already-purchased flight.
Well, what I need is the G-class space on the VS flight. Delta told me that because they're 50/50 partners basically if VS has it then DL will see it.
I keep checking VS's site multiple times daily, but nothing yet.

The flight is 2 months away and I actually work at a travel agency. The flight has sold maybe 3-5 seats based on what I'm seeing in the entire A340 cabin... Must be the fact that it's LHR/JFK

G-class is the same as the original award anyway. It can be used for mileage awards from the beginning OR an upgrade with miles.
Old Jan 5, 19, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dbernard2000 View Post
Well, what I need is the G-class space on the VS flight.
I understand that. What I'm saying is that most of us would be thrilled with award space in Upper Class (G class if you insist) for any flight within a period of time to a variety of potential destinations. Flexibility is key.

Trying to use miles on one specific flight is much more difficult and FWIW European airlines such as VS aren't known for releasing award space late, in order to fill seats.

As mentioned, keep checking and good luck...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Trying to use miles on one specific flight is much more difficult and FWIW European airlines such as VS aren't known for releasing award space late, in order to fill seats.
I agree largely. However I know VS do regularly open up G's on the day of departure to help them when they need to shuffle people around. I've had many an upgrade to G when using miles at check in despite there being none prior to T-24. And on busy flights too. Usually they're offering cash & miles upgrades to Upper when this happens.
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by CommanderB View Post
I agree largely. However I know VS do regularly open up G's on the day of departure to help them when they need to shuffle people around. I've had many an upgrade to G when using miles at check in despite there being none prior to T-24. And on busy flights too. Usually they're offering cash & miles upgrades to Upper when this happens.
You are quite right. VS prefer to get miles or money on the day, especially when they are overbooked and would be upgrading people for free...
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: DL, HH
This is why I have purchased a subscription to ExpertFlyer. The ability to somewhat easily check upgrade availability on VS (and set alerts) is very valuable for me.

I generally have some flexibility on my travel dates, so I will identify flights with upgrade availability, book them in Y through my corporate travel system and then immediately call and upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:00 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by dbernard2000 View Post
Hello fellow flyers!

I've got a Delta ticket with a codeshare on VS coming up the first week of March.
I also have quite a bit of SkyMiles to burn so I'm looking at upgrading it.

VS tells me that their upgrade space "G" must be available on their side.
Delta tells me if VS has the space, then Delta can see it too and grab it.

The only problem of course is that it's not available...
Any tips or tricks for finding it?

Thanks!
Here is the thread from the Delta (ticketed by Delta) point of view - Use Sky Miles to upgrade on VS

Search this Thread