Gatwick closure

Old Dec 20, 18, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Gatwick closure

Both VS flights to MCO have been cancelled due to the closure of Gatwick.

PAX are being bussed to LHR. Can anyone tell me whether re-booking with take place at LGW before they are bussed to LHR or if it will be done at LHR. My sister and young kids have been at Gatwick for hours and I'm wondering whether they should make their own way to LHR to be ahead of the crowds.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:19 am

Programs: VS Gold
Given this is quite an extraordinary and unusual event you or your sister would be better off ringing the airline.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It would be rather daft to be on a coach to LHR when LGW announce that the airport is reopening and flights will begin again.

Talk to the airline first.
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:12 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum, Lufthansa and Virgin(why?)
The two 747's diverted to LHR last night have both taken off and are en route to MCO. I presume passengers booked on the LGW-MCO flights were put on a coach and taken to LHR and they flew from there. Same seats and all which is pretty good. BA have only managed to get one of the diverted 777's away and that's to BDA.
Old Dec 20, 18, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Ahhh....yes that makes sense now. I hadnít realised the VS planes were at LHR. They got away just after 6pm after a long delay but really thrilled they managed to get away.
Old Dec 20, 18, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
It would be rather daft to be on a coach to LHR when LGW announce that the airport is reopening and flights will begin again.

Talk to the airline first.
LGW has been closed for 24 hours. As a regular on the BA forum the usual advice is to make ones own re-booking arrangements as that usually yields a better result during IROPS especially with status. But it sounds like VS have done a great job in difficult circumstances.
Old Dec 20, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
I arrived at LHR a couple of hours ago at T5 and there was an announcement that passengers who had just arrived on the BA flight from Mauritus that coaches were waiting to take them to Gatwick. The Mauritus flight is normally an ex LGW departure so they have done some jigging of their flights.
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:06 pm

Programs: Up there
Myself and MRS CC are sitting in the club at MCO awaiting to board VS28, delayed from 1855 to 0015 as of now..
We were given a pair of $15 vouchers for anything inside the airport during bag drop.
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:35 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
@carolinaCooper My boyfriend was on this flight I think, MCO-LGW in Upper Class and Virgin rang him to say that it was swapped with a Wamos charter plane. He canceled and rebooked on British to LHR from MIA, so didn't get to see the plane. Any idea on what the plane was? Would be pretty upset to get "Wamosed" when expecting Virgin upperclass. TIA and hope you made it home safe
Old Dec 21, 18, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA executive Club - Silver
http://thevssource.com/

reports that a HiFi (Malta) A340-5, a Euro-atlantic (portugese) A340-5 and a Wamos 747-4 (Madrid) were sent to Heathrow for Virgin Operations

Not cheap and a sound decision as Gatwick closed again. Running additional flights from heathrow chartering aircraft shows a sound commitment to getting people away.

All three carriers don't have great reputations. BUT - given it's four days before Christmas, it's a great gesture and not the time to be fussy
Old Dec 22, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: Up there
@Quinlanty , Thankfully we did not get wamosed and went out on the same plane we had originally booked (vs28/747)
The flight left MCO after 0100 on Friday, LGW immigration was a 10 minute breeze as was customs on arrival.
I hope your BF made it in on time.
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I got Wamosed. Let me just say: it was very unpleasant. While I appreciate being able to fly, I should have simply stayed an extra day or two, or found a set of connecting Delta flights to use instead.