No seats left to assign in PE

Old Dec 19, 18, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

No seats left to assign in PE

Flying LHR-HKG early Jan in PE, flight looks full as end of Xmas holidays. No seats left so canít pre reserve one.

35 seats total. 5 rows of 7 (787 layout), Expert Flyer shows 28 already reserved with the 1st bulkhead row blocked.

Online chat told me to wait for OCI, however do they release the bulkhead row for OCI or will I be waiting until the airport before I get a seat?

Hate non aisle seats and like to move quite a lot (poor sleeper), will annoy my adjoining passengers clambering over them when asleep if I donít have an aisle.

Any suggestions on how I maximise chances of an aisle seat? Will try OCI at +24 but no use if they wonít let me choose a seat then. Canít get to LHR until 2-3 hours ahead as ~4 hours away.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:58 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk - I have deleted your duplicate post to prevent two discussions.

All PE passengers can select a seat as the book free, so clearly as it is a busy flight this has been done.

Traditionally some bulk head seats are held back for pax travelling with infants / babies because of the bassinet positions. I don't think they are released at OLCI, I think they remain under airport control, but I stand to be corrected.

All I can suggest is get to the airport early and hope for the best.

Nick
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for reply so looks like no seat for me until airport check in .

Guess there is no point doing online check in if I wonít be given a seat, although I will check in case anything frees up.
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I would keep an eye on the fare buckets being sold. If PE is sold out and there are still available seats in Upper Class, then you or somebody else is potentially going to be upgraded. That "somebody else" would probably have status, in which case they'd be freeing up one of the better PE seats. Alternatively you'll be in the bulkhead row or subject to involuntary downgrading.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I would always do OLCI even without a seat assignment.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I would keep an eye on the fare buckets being sold. If PE is sold out and there are still available seats in Upper Class, then you or somebody else is potentially going to be upgraded. That "somebody else" would probably have status, in which case they'd be freeing up one of the better PE seats. Alternatively you'll be in the bulkhead row or subject to involuntary downgrading.
Don't like the sound of 'involuntary downgrading' how often does that happen in PE? What's the advantage of OCI if I can't select seat? They'll just check me in and give me a seat and the baggage drop.

Checking the booking site they still have 2 seats to sell in PE and 5 in Upper, how many seats do they overbook each cabin by?

If for example it's 2 they will have sold all 35 PE seats now so I should have a seat yet if 1 or 2 more people buy a ticket between now and the flight they could take my seat. Bit unfair that people who book after you could force you to be downgraded or bumped. One advantage to economy as well as price is you can't be downgraded!
Old Dec 20, 18, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador

iF and I repeat If they do need to downgrade then check in time comes into play with those checking in last being more at risk.

But as as I said IF.

and if they do need to downgrade someone then they ask for volunteers first.

nancypants likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Dec 20, 18 at 3:27 pm
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Start checking the seating chart 2-3 days out. People move, change flights, upgrade, etc. I've had the situation you describe and had a seat open up close to day of departure. I've also been able to select a seat at OLCI. In other words definitely keep checking. And I agree to OLCI even if you can't select a seat.
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExpertFlyer seat alert.
Old Dec 24, 18, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
ExpertFlyer seat alert.
Have signed up for that too, flight is in 13 days so will keep checking.
Old Dec 30, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
The bulkheads in PE are always blocked, on all VS aircraft. You can never select them yourself. It can only be done at the Airport. Thats because most bulkhead seats are bassinet positions.

Check in and CH staff can arrange for them to be unblocked and for you to be seated in them.

Personally, I check in late for VS flights, because they do all of their upgrades manually, meaning check in time, fare class, status and number of people in the travelling party - all come into play. Single passenger showing up last is usually an easy way to get upgraded. But that's whole separate threads worth of conjecture!
Old Jan 5, 19, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Quick update, flight is tomorrow have been regularly checking the app with all seats booked, however a few mins ago I checked again and I have now been assigned an aisle seat, which is what I was after so pleased with that. Will check in tonight to secure it.

I assume someone cancelled their flight so I managed to bag that seat.

I wonder who chooses a middle seat? Although Iím always impressed by those who appear to not move once on 12+ hour flights, opposite of me who tends to be wanting to move hourly canít sleep so I fear non aisle seats as Iíd really irritate my neighbours with wanting to get out so often.
Old Jan 5, 19, 4:30 am

Some people choose middle seats hoping that it discourages people from booking the seats on either side and ending up with more space, (or in the expectation that a couple booked either side of them would agree to swap). Personally it's too big a risk for me and I'd just book an aisle or window.
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I chose a middle seat originally with a flight party of 5. Chose 2 window seats and the 3 in center, so we would all be together. But then a 6th joined and I was able to split 2/2/2, but not really near each other. I don't fly often (furthest have been 4-5 hour flights in economy, have gotten a little antsy in terms of shoulder space, but never felt the need to get up). Upcoming trip from East Coast to London will be my longest flight and also first time experiencing premium economy.
Old Jan 5, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: Up there, Route 36 LaPaz Diamond
Originally Posted by CommanderB View Post
The bulkheads in PE are always blocked, on all VS aircraft. You can never select them yourself. It can only be done at the Airport. Thats because most bulkhead seats are bassinet positions.
I was able to select PE 20a/20c 747 bulkhead seats in the bubble for both flights mco-lgw/ man-mco.
The lower deck PE bulkhead were blocked but not the upper deck, the bassinet bulkhead seats across the aisle were also available at 10 months out.

Search this Thread