FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Chance of equipment swap LHR-JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1946040-chance-equipment-swap-lhr-jfk.html)

APUBleed Dec 16, 2018 5:06 am

Chance of equipment swap LHR-JFK

Hi all,

I'm excited to be flying on the VS A340-600 for the first time over Easter...I guess to manage my expectations, what are the chances they might swap this with another aircraft? E.g., the way BA might swap 777s and 747s..

Nottingham Nick Dec 16, 2018 6:45 am

VS only have a small mixed fleet, so do swap aircraft, sometimes last minute , if one goes tech; or it is operationally necessary.
What route are you flying ?

Nick

APUBleed Dec 16, 2018 8:33 am

Lhr to jfk

littlemookie Dec 17, 2018 9:44 pm

The A340 is one of the older planes that Virgin flies on that route. I recently had a 787 be swapped for an A330, but so far have never had an A340 be swapped for something else, but that might just be my luck. I find the A340 seats a bit wider than the 787 or A330, but that might just be my imagination. The A340 seats are in desperate need of TLC, they are old with a lot of wear and tear that shows. My flight a few weeks ago had a tray table that didn't pop out of the slot, the FA had to manually pull it out using a knife.

It's a fun plane to fly on once or twice, the 4 engine planes are rare these days and an experience when taking off and landing.

APUBleed Jan 6, 2019 12:21 pm

Interestingly there has already been a swap - I had an A340 there and a 787 on the way back, and now I have an A340 both ways. I'm personally not complaining because the A340 is probably the main reason I am flying Virgin Atlantic instead of BA. However, I can imagine this irritating others. Would have been nice to experience both offerings but I'm not complaining!

ColOrd Jan 13, 2019 5:14 am

VS seam to be concentrating 340s on NY a little more other than the SFO and ATL where they need the extra capacity. I think it’s becusse it’s a short route so use them there rather than on the longer ones with greater fuel burn?

APUBleed Mar 16, 2019 3:23 am

And now there has been another swap - both of my flights are now A330s. A little bit annoying!

LadyB Mar 16, 2019 12:12 pm

We’re flying LHR-JFK on Easter Saturday and have an aircraft change from an A330 to an A340 but so far, still an A330 JFK-LHRalmost 2 weeks later.
What are the main differences between the two?

rog747 Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by LadyB (Post 30894602)
We’re flying LHR-JFK on Easter Saturday and have an aircraft change from an A330 to an A340 but so far, still an A330 JFK-LHRalmost 2 weeks later.
What are the main differences between the two?

Four engines good
Two engines bad :)

juuceman Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm

I’m flying jfk-lhr on 6/26/19. Flight 154. Delta ticketed award flight. My confirmed seat assignment has been removed and the entire cabin is showing as not available. I’ve called and they tell me it’s a potential equipment swap and that they can’t do anything until the day of.

Anyone with experience similar to this? Thanks.

ijgordon Jun 12, 2019 4:59 pm

What kind of aircraft was that when you booked? It's now showing as A330, and completely booked in all classes. If it was downgauged from an A346, it's quite possible the cabin is overbooked (the entire flight is probably overbooked, but that's normally less of an issue).
There also happens to be very limited availability in business class on other flights that day.
You might be in a bit of a tough spot as your ticket was issued by Delta and so Virgin is unlikely to do anything if you were to call them - and both they and DL will tell you you're confirmed in business class. They are probably hoping for cancellations between now and then, or they'll have to ask for volunteers for downgrade and/or to take a different flight. There may not be a whole lot you can do proactively, but I would definitely look into an ExpertFlyer seat alert in case any seats do become available on your flight.

juuceman Jun 18, 2019 11:51 am

Unsure what it was when booked in August. I called Delta, they escalated to a supervisor who called Virgin, and long story short, they put us on Delta metal, waiving the change fees and higher charges.