Booking 2 One Way Redemptions using 3 accounts!!

Old Dec 8, 18, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA
Booking 2 One Way Redemptions using 3 accounts!!

Hi,

Iím fairly sure Iíve read elsewhere before that this is possible, but just checking if I book our outbound flights (4 seats needed!!) as soon as they are released at 330 days, then two weeks later book the return flights via the VAFC team, will they reduce the taxes to the equivalent of the return fare?

On this trip, the flights are 22,500 miles each way (total 180k miles for the round trip). Across the three family members we have 120k, 60k and 50k VA points. If I book the outbound flights separately, could I split the 90k across the latter two accounts, taking 45k from each account, or would I have to split the miles across the three accounts? If it can be across two accounts, then I could book the return flights from the one account with 120k miles.

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 8, 18, 10:58 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
My understanding is that each leg of each personís ticket has to be booked from one account.
You can split the trip into one way from one account and the return from another no problem.

Hsving said that, it isnít something I have ever tried to do

Nick
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Since your ultimate desire is to have return tickets booked for 45K each, you'll need to book 2 tickets out of the 120k account and the other two tickets individually out of the other accounts.

Even if you wanted to book one-ways, you can't top up to 22.5K out of two different accounts to book one reward. Each account must spend the miles for at least one leg of the ticket (i.e. 22.5K) So you can't get 3 one-ways @ 22.5K each out of 60K or 50K.
Old Dec 8, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Since your ultimate desire is to have return tickets booked for 45K each, you'll need to book 2 tickets out of the 120k account and the other two tickets individually out of the other accounts.

Even if you wanted to book one-ways, you can't top up to 22.5K out of two different accounts to book one reward. Each account must spend the miles for at least one leg of the ticket (i.e. 22.5K) So you can't get 3 one-ways @ 22.5K each out of 60K or 50K.
This is the key point. I believe you can transfer points between accounts, but the fees are onerous. If you happen to have gold status I think you can pool accounts.
Old Dec 8, 18, 4:41 pm

Yes - you can 'gift/buy' points from another account, and I'm pretty sure this quite a bit cheaper than buying outright, but still pretty expensive. IIRC when I bought some gifted points to top off my miles for an F redemption it priced out at about £10 per 1000, which while cheaper than £15 per 1000, still isn't good value.
Old Dec 10, 18, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Apologies everyone - I thought I had posted the reply below on Sunday, but it failed to upload.
================================================== ==============================
Thanks everyone for taking time to reply.

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post

With regard to the one-ways, I was looking to use 2x 22.5k from each of the accounts holding 60k and 50k points, then book all four return flights out of the 120k account. However, is it the case that if VA could effectively “convert” the two one-way bookings into a return, then the same rules would apply if making a return booking i.e. all three accounts would have to contribute 60k to the total 180k miles? It’s not a problem as I have 10k of Amex Rewards points that can be transferred to the account with 50k miles, but just need to sort out this transfer in good time!!!
Old Dec 10, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post

With regard to the one-ways, I was looking to use 2x 22.5k from each of the accounts holding 60k and 50k points, then book all four return flights out of the 120k account. However, is it the case that if VA could effectively ďconvertĒ the two one-way bookings into a return, then the same rules would apply if making a return booking i.e. all three accounts would have to contribute 60k to the total 180k miles? Itís not a problem as I have 10k of Amex Rewards points that can be transferred to the account with 50k miles, but just need to sort out this transfer in good time!!!
Really struggling to follow along.

If you want 4 return itineraries out of any account you would need 45k x 4 miles in one account, and no amount of gymnastics will help you to get those miles for free from different accounts. You can't book any reward ticket with half of the miles coming from one account and the other half coming from a different account, even if the purchase is done in two tranches.

If you want to book a whole bunch of one-ways, that's fine - just choose the accounts you prefer. (presumably you want to avoid higher surcharges on ex-USA itineraries though, which is why all the mentions of "return")
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi - sorry if it is confusing. However, I managed to speak with the VAFC early this morning (got straight through for a change!!!!) and I think I’m sorted..........although I was tempted by an option to return MIA-MAD-MAN in Iberia PE using Avios. Must stop looking, must stop looking.

Seriously though, thank you to everyone who has replied - it certainly helped in my chat with VAFC.
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi - sorry if it is confusing. However, I managed to speak with the VAFC early this morning (got straight through for a change!!!!) and I think Iím sorted..........although I was tempted by an option to return MIA-MAD-MAN in Iberia PE using Avios. Must stop looking, must stop looking.

Seriously though, thank you to everyone who has replied - it certainly helped in my chat with VAFC.
Old Dec 16, 18, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Outbound flights sorted thanks to the VAFC. Managed to get 4 PE seats MAN-MCO and the agent did all the transferring of points between accounts so that the bookings were made from my own account.

Now just the wait for another few weeks whilst the return seats are (hopefully!!) released.
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Outbound flights sorted thanks to the VAFC. Managed to get 4 PE seats MAN-MCO and the agent did all the transferring of points between accounts so that the bookings were made from my own account.

Now just the wait for another few weeks whilst the return seats are (hopefully!!) released.
Did they charge you for the transfer? I've read one report of the agent doing the transfer for free when the miles were used to book reward flights for both account holders.
Old Dec 16, 18, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

No charge made for the transfer of the points whilst making the booking. The agent transferred 45k miles from my daughters account and 22.5k from my wife’s into my account to make the booking.
CosmicGirl and Jma12 like this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:05 am
Original Poster

And return flights booked a few days ago, albeit a day later than we were planning on travelling as there was no PE availability on the MCO-MAN flights on our original date!!!

Again, really helpful VAFC team member sorted out transferring points for three flights from wife and daughters accounts (45k and 22.5k), and booked all four flights from my account.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: *S(A3), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, BA, AP, DL, KE
That's good to know, thank you for the DP. I wonder if this is possible for partner airline booking, or just limited to VS metal.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:42 am

Very interesting data point and rather surprising really...

I wonder what would happen if you subsequently cancelled the awards. It could be a rather cost-effective method of combining miles into a single account.

Search this Thread