FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Newbie Questions about UC Redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1944543-newbie-questions-about-uc-redemption.html)

Definitas Dec 7, 2018 12:35 pm

Newbie Questions about UC Redemption

Ten years ago I was fortunate enough to fly back and forward to the US in UC courtesy of the company I worked for and was a gold card member of the FC for about 7 years. I loved the herringbone layout and the flip-over bed system and still think that the LHR Clubhouse is one of the best in the world. Sadly, my Business Class redemptions have been dominated by the BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher scheme for the last few years and we haven’t flown VS UC for 9 years. I am currently planning flights to Florida outbound in Jan 20 and back in March. We are going to Fort Myers. One option would be a VS/Delta codeshare to Atlanta and an onward internal flight to RSW. Other options would be LHR OR LGW to MCO o MIA and car hire. My concern is that, if I transfer AMEX points into Virgin FC, I cant get them back if there is no availability. Could I please canvas opinion on what UC redemption availability is like in what is a peak season for Florida. Many thanks

Nottingham Nick Dec 7, 2018 1:54 pm

Can't comment too much on availability to ATL, but what I can say is that last year I rang up to redeem some miles on a UC trip to miles to Hong Kong; and after I had confirmed availability with the agent, he was happy to stay on the line with me while I transferred some Amex points to Flying Club on my laptop. The transfer was instant and the seats were confirmed a few seconds later.

Nick

Theirin Dec 7, 2018 2:01 pm

To second the above, while I've generally seen good availability on flights to Orlando, I've called up and asked for reward flights to be held while I transfer miles twice in the past few months. For ANA F they were happy to hold for 24 hours. For a VS UC to HKG they held from Saturday to Tuesday.

Definitas Dec 7, 2018 2:22 pm

UC availability

Originally Posted by Theirin (Post 30510249)
To second the above, while I've generally seen good availability on flights to Orlando, I've called up and asked for reward flights to be held while I transfer miles twice in the past few months. For ANA F they were happy to hold for 24 hours. For a VS UC to HKG they held from Saturday to Tuesday.

That is very good information thanks. Incidentally, Do VA allow you to book a single outbound when released and then add a return when available?

Theirin Dec 7, 2018 3:16 pm

You can book one way redemptions, yes, so you could book the outbound, wait for availability and then book the inbound, or vice-versa.

You can also book a return and then pay the £30 fee to change the inbound when the flight you want becomes available. As far as I know, you can't book an open return (I've never tried), but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.