Buy Now or Wait for "Travel Tuesday"?

Old Nov 25, 18, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - seesaws between no status and Silver; HH Diamond
Buy Now or Wait for "Travel Tuesday"?

DH and I will be flying IAD-LHR in mid April and would like to go Upper Class. We are generally United flyers (and low status at that) so we have no status at all with Virgin. I'm seeing RT (through Delta codeshare) at around $2900 RT (it's about $3800 if I book through Virgin). I have been hearing about Tuesday being "Travel Tuesday" with deals. Should I wait for Tuesday? Or is this price good to book now? We are also open to other options as long as they have lie flat seats. United has very limited Business Saver options and even many of those are 2-4-2 (with many rear-facing, which I don't like) so def. leaning towards Virgin.
Expert opinions? Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:57 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
There is no advice better than if you like the deal then book it. Prices can go up or down but in the UK I have never heard of travel Tuesday and VS is not known for running sales at this time of year ... really it is your choice
Old Nov 25, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

@slinky09 - Travel Tuesday was new to me too. It's apparently an extension of Black Friday and Cyber Monday here in the US; here's a link with info: https://www.hopper.com/research/trav...lights-returns
But for now - I realize that if I like the deal I should book it....my issue is I don't know if I like it! More to the point - is $2900 a "good" price relative to other pricing for UC? My instinct is that it's a decent price for TATL UC but since I have no frame of reference for Virgin, I don't know if this is high or low. Can you add any info to help me decide? Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 27, 18, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
$2900 is a great price for TATL on UC. That's like what JFK-LHR was back in 2011 purchased at deep discount/sale. I wouldn't expect to get much lower than that, unless you are doing some wonky connection to a city like DEL (JFK-LHR-DEL r/t for instance, where you could — as in, ive seen it in the past — book it for like $3500, which is an extraordinary value for 4x VS UC flights (JFK-LHR, LHR-DEL, DEL-LHR, LHR-JFK).
Old Nov 27, 18, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VX N281VA View Post
$2900 is a great price for TATL on UC. That's like what JFK-LHR was back in 2011 purchased at deep discount/sale. I wouldn't expect to get much lower than that, unless you are doing some wonky connection to a city like DEL (JFK-LHR-DEL r/t for instance, where you could — as in, ive seen it in the past — book it for like $3500, which is an extraordinary value for 4x VS UC flights (JFK-LHR, LHR-DEL, DEL-LHR, LHR-JFK).
Thanks, @VX N281VA! I started to realize that it sounded like a pretty good deal, so I went ahead and booked. What I actually ended up doing was booking an UC ticket IAD to LHR since that is overnight and then the return trip during the day we just did Premium Economy. I was happy with the RT price of about $1950 each.

Search this Thread