Increased bonus on the UK credit cards

Old Nov 9, 18, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Increased bonus on the UK credit cards

Virgin has launched a special bonus on the UK credit cards this morning:

Free card - the usual 5000 miles for the first purchase with an extra 5000 miles when you spend 1000, total 10000 miles

160 card - the usual 15000 miles for the first purchase with an extra 10000 miles when you spend 1500, total 25000 miles

How they can afford this in the world of 0.3% interchange is beyond me!

My article - https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...d-bonus-miles/
Old Nov 9, 18, 10:56 am

It's certainly a fantastic way to reward all those loyal customers who signed up for the card when it was new. Especially when it comes after they upped the rate on the Savings Account too.

I'll be cancelling the paid card at the end of the first year and opting for the free one, and I won't be trusting Virgin with any of these offers again.
Old Nov 9, 18, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
To be fair to VM, savings rates moved up and they moved their account in line.
Old Nov 9, 18, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
To be fair to VM, savings rates moved up and they moved their account in line.
True, but they did with it what is essentially a fixed rate account two months after the account's creation (at least that's when they advertised it to me via email as a 'new' product) So they basically penalized early adopters. It's not illegal by any means, but it doesn't show much regard for loyalty. Especially since with their smaller network and fewer partners Virgin really need to show their quality/service/value proposition over BA in other ways.

Last edited by Theirin; Nov 9, 18 at 11:31 am Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 9, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Exactly. Integrity is everything and Virgin money money credit card FAIL

i saw a promo online offering 6000 bonus miles for each of the first 3 months if spend on card was over 1k a month
on paid card with 160 annual fee
That was 15000 sign up and 18000 bonus if 3k spent in 3 months

i spoke to 4 separate telephone agents including a manageress all of whom confirmed I would get this promo
being thorough I checked pre application, post application when I had other issues and spoke to a manageress who also confirmed if any other issues arise I could close my account and get refund of annual fee, I also rechecked promo on receipt of the card and again after statement in month one when the promo miles never posted and was told it posts a month in advance and be patient I will definitely get promo miles

after statement month 2 posted the promo still never triggered so I enquired again and this time I was told I am not eligible for the 18000 miles promo as it was targeted.

I then made a complaint and the telephone calls were listened to and i was told there was nothing they could do and they will not be honouring it even though they found all the calls confirming I would.

Tried to close account and get refund of 160 annual fee as advised by manageress and this Was also denied and I was then told no refund of fee will be made

I have had many issues with this credit card and I have only had it for 3 months
i have waited in telephone queue for nearly an hour on several occasions waiting for agent to answer
had my card blocked over a 9 purchase waited 45 minutes to get through only to be told that department was closed and call back tomorrow and denied a callback
Dealt with rude telephone agents who have called literally me a liar when they advised I was telephoned and emailed when the card was blocked and I said I was not contacted whatsoever.

worst credit card company I have ever had the displeasure to do business with
just look on trustpilot they score 1 out of 10
They are ranked 23rd out of 24 banks

Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
PaulH1.
Yup, it is a service full of b.s. and come-ons.
I did not have the same experience as you, mine was different, but still awful.
However, at least I found one agent who was willing to go the extra mile. I was polite, but explained that I was extremely annoyed.
I got my UKP150 back.
Old Nov 13, 18, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Conversely I got two lots of bonus added to mine and my wifes card retrospectively after they agreed with my complaints that we had not been awarded the miles despite assurances we would.

It seems that there is no prearranged plan to deal with this issue and cases are dealt with haphazardly. Never a good idea when trying to protect your brand.

I too will be cancelling my plus card at its anniversary.

Search this Thread