Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VS to BA transfer in LHR on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

VS to BA transfer in LHR on separate tickets

Looking at Premium Economy SEA-LHR on VS and LHR-LED on BA on a separate ticket. Connection time is 2 hours to change from T3 to T5.

No checked bags. Is it doable?

BA ticket is like $200 one way and $70 change fee, so if I miss a flight its not a huge deal.

Note that VS actually offers single fare SEA-LHR-LED with PE on TATL segment but for some reason the availability only comes back in Y and J, not PE. I wasted one hour with two different VS reservation agents who gave up. Expedia has the same issue, books in Y and J without problems, PE is forcing to J. Could be married segments?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Your problem might be getting a boarding pass for Russia without a visa check. That will eat into the time you have to clear conformance at T5.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Doable but very risky.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The BA visa check will be key here. As will hitting BA conformance otherwise you will be off loaded. So you are very much dependent on an on-time VS arrival.

That applies whether you try both airside and landside terminal transfers.

And to be pedantic on separate tickets you are not connecting!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is not whether you suffer a loss with a no show on the BA ticket, but what a new ticket costs at walk-up fares. Even if you land in time to deal with rebooking, the $70 change fee will still require a fare difference to be paid if there is one.

The question is all about risk because you bear 100% of the risk.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

I didn't realize check-in would be such issue. I will try to check-in online or at BA ticket counter in SEA in they are open before VS departure.

In LHR cutoff seems to be 45 minutes, but perhaps they may let me in if seats are still available when I show up at the gate after cut off?

Good news is that LHR-LED seems to be flooded with $200ish one way fares, so I will probably protect myself 24 hour out on a later flight just in case and use 24 hour free cancelation if I make connection (on Expedia you can cancel anytime before fligth).

​​​​​
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Quick update. I was able to check in online for BA flight. VS arrived on time. It took me about 45 minutes to get from VS plane to the departure gate at T5. Could have done in 40 minutes if I had to run. There was 5 minutes wait at T5 security and 5 minute wait for the bus.
​​​​
Conclusion: 2hr is very doable if you can check in online. You will have more than 1 hour to spare if flight arrives on time and there is no long waits at security checkpoint or bus.

But if you can not check in online, it's risky because you will need to be at BA connection center 45 minutes prior, which is about 30 minutes walk/bus from VS = 1hr 15 minutes, so any delay over 30-40 minutes and there is a good chance you miss it. Even a small delay would make me run and sweat.

Last edited by AntonS; Sep 19, 2018 at 2:11 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Thanks for the update!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Good to see an update and that its conclusions are measured.

Far too many people take one or two experiences (where everything runs smoothly) to confirm to themselves that it always works that way...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.