Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

DL award seats available on delta.com, but Virgin agent can't see them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

On the Delta website award seats are shown as available for my dates, but Virgin agent says there are no Virgin partner awards available for those dates. New to Virgin, should I believe agent or HUCA?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rje444
On the Delta website award seats are shown as available for my dates, but Virgin agent says there are no Virgin partner awards available for those dates. New to Virgin, should I believe agent or HUCA?
What route, and how many miles is DL asking for the redemption? Since DL eliminated its redemption chart, it's not always easy to tell whether a particular redemption available with Sky Miles will be available to DL's partner-carrier FFPs.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
What route, and how many miles is DL asking for the redemption? Since DL eliminated its redemption chart, it's not always easy to tell whether a particular redemption available with Sky Miles will be available to DL's partner-carrier FFPs.
The route is ATH-JFK non-stop, and DL is asking 280,000 for Delta One 1-way. Far too expensive for me.

Instead I was hoping to get that same DL flight from Flying Club using Membership Reward points transferred during their current 30% bonus on transfers.
Cost from Flying Club according to the agent would be far better at 50,000, but with the 30% off it would be only 35,000.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The route is ATH-JFK non-stop, and DL is asking 280,000 for Delta One 1-way. Far too expensive for me.

Instead I was hoping to get that same DL flight from Flying Club using Membership Reward points transferred during their current 30% bonus on transfers.
Cost from Flying Club according to the agent would be far better at 50,000, but with the 30% off it would be only 35,000.
280K is definitely not "saver" level. No surprise that VS can't see space.

You can't really tell by looking at delta.com. I'm not sure what other Skyteam programmes offer online award space for DL. Air France maybe?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:54 am

The VS website does actually show the correct DL reward space available to VS now, albeit using a quirky interface, so that's going to be the best place I think.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
The VS website does actually show the correct DL reward space available to VS now, albeit using a quirky interface, so that's going to be the best place I think.
Only for a select few routes.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Only for a select few routes.
Oh, I didn't know that. Which routes doesn't it show?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Oh, I didn't know that. Which routes doesn't it show?
Well...try booking a flight from DUS / FRA to JFK.

Delta flies the route but you can't even search this route with Miles on the VS site .
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Lewis42
Well...try booking a flight from DUS / FRA to JFK.

Delta flies the route but you can't even search this route with Miles on the VS site .
Well, there isn't much availability, and I only searched very quickly, so I could only find connections via ATL, but there seem to be some flights available.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Well, there isn't much availability, and I only searched very quickly, so I could only find connections via ATL, but there seem to be some flights available.
Oh! I was looking and when I typed in DUS, it just greyed out the 'pay with miles' option!

I'll try different pages to search.

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Lewis42
Oh! I was looking and when I typed in DUS, it just greyed out the 'pay with miles' option!

I'll try different pages to search.

Thanks
Well, don't get your hopes up. I wasn't seeing great results!

Anyway, yes, it does that. The workaround is to find a route which you know works via pay with miles (i.e. LHR-JFK), get some results returned (it doesn't matter what they are), then use the refine search function at that point to put in the parameters you actually want. Sometimes pay with miles remains both greyed-out and selected as you do this, but it doesn't matter. You can just use the refine search function as normal after that first step.
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately the VS website doesn't allow me to search for any flights out of Athens, which is where that Delta flight I need originates.

This is true even if I click on the little symbol on the right side of each search box. ATH isn't available, nor does typing in Athens or ATH work, nor is Greece available as a country category.

I tried the hack of starting with a searchable route and then using refine search, but again ATH is not possible.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to keep calling VS?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:46 pm

Unfortunately the VS website doesn't allow me to search for any flights out of Athens, which is where that Delta flight I need originates.

This is true even if I click on the little symbol on the right side of each search box. ATH isn't available, nor does typing in Athens or ATH work, nor is Greece available as a country category.

I tried the hack of starting with a searchable route and then using refine search, but again ATH is not possible.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to keep calling VS?
You're right, ATH is simply not loaded into the VS search function. There appears to be something quirky with that route, though, as it also doesn't show up on the AF/KLM search tool (whereas connecting routes do).

Is it possible it's one of the DL routes not available for partner redemptions?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:24 pm

I was trying to go JFK to SNN and I spoked to a few different agents and I was told can't book this route. I guess not one of the redemptions either.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:23 pm

Similar question. I'm trying to book a domestic DL flight.

DL is showing availability at 34k miles in F for 6 days in February on a specific flight.

VS is only showing 1 day available.

Any reason for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.