how to get to upper class wing?

Old Jul 6, 18, 8:12 am
Original Poster

how to get to upper class wing?

i'm flying UC in a few months and was wondering how would i be able to get to the UC wing. is it possible via tube? if i take an uber, how do i get through? does he call on the intercom?
Old Jul 6, 18, 9:36 am

Programs: VS Gold
This should tell you everything you need to know :-)

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...lass-wing.html
Old Jul 21, 18, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
i'm flying UC in a few months and was wondering how would i be able to get to the UC wing. is it possible via tube? if i take an uber, how do i get through? does he call on the intercom?
if you take uber or a taxi you just call them in advance with your arrival time and they let through at the car barrier. And they you have someone to greet you.
Old Jul 21, 18, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wavery83 View Post

if you take uber or a taxi you just call them in advance with your arrival time and they let through at the car barrier. And they you have someone to greet you.
thanks. Iíll do that
Old Jul 21, 18, 7:54 am

It does need to be pre-arranged but it say's on that web link " You can do this between one month and up to two hours before your flight." - not sure that they are sticklers about the 2 hour minimum but I wouldn't want to push it too far.

I think they check you in in advance and keep your boarding pass and baggage tags waiting for your arrival. I think you can turn up unannounced but it does slow the process down.
Old Jul 21, 18, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
If you are arriving by tube/rail/coach then you check-in using the normal desks and then use the lift and scan your BP to enter the private security channel.

Whilst the Wing is nice it really isn't worth going out of your way or spending extra money on taxis (unless you were already getting one to LHR) to use.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 21, 18 at 8:54 am
Old Jul 26, 18, 4:17 am

My experience of it in June:

We booked ahead for the wing but were getting a Taxi from our hotel close to T3. Taxi arrived and I took the registration, called and waited on hold for 5 mins - by the time I got talking to the guy to pass on the reg we were going through the T3 tunnel so lost him.

Arrived at the barrier and gave our name over the intercom and they let us through.

Got to say I was entirely underwhelmed by the whole thing. No-one outside to greet us, our taxi driver helped with our bags. Went inside and were asked to take a seat (despite being BANG on time for our slot) while they dealt with others. Then we were called to the desk where they took passports etc as per a normal check in desk, nothing seemed pre-prepped despite booking 2 or 3 weeks in advance. Seemed overly busy, maybe with tun ups.

I wouldn't bother with it again.
Old Aug 24, 18, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
No need to call ahead now. They have a list of all Upper passengers ready and your driver just has to give your full name and outbound flight details over the intercom and they let you through.

I have always found the service exemplary, met at the door of my car, bags taken immediately, checked in within 60 seconds, straight into the dedicated security line. I would say taxi to lounge is no more than 5 minutes. The longest part is walking through the duty free and centre of the terminal to get to the corridor with the lounges.
Old Sep 3, 18, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
If you are arriving by tube/rail/coach then you check-in using the normal desks and then use the lift and scan your BP to enter the private security channel.

Whilst the Wing is nice it really isn't worth going out of your way or spending extra money on taxis (unless you were already getting one to LHR) to use.
How does the scanner work when bringing a companion along with you? I have accessed the private security hallway a few times on my own by virtue of being a DL platinum, but Mrs Lee will accompany me on my next trip, though ticketed separately as mine is arranged for work.

I'm assuming the scanner is literally just to open to door so no issues scanning my pass and us both proceeding through?
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:22 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
How does the scanner work when bringing a companion along with you? I have accessed the private security hallway a few times on my own by virtue of being a DL platinum, but Mrs Lee will accompany me on my next trip, though ticketed separately as mine is arranged for work.

I'm assuming the scanner is literally just to open to door so no issues scanning my pass and us both proceeding through?
That's right yes - you can use your boarding pass to open the door and your companion can follow you in. The VS staff do watch for interlopers and tailgaters though so you may want to come armed with her boarding pass to confirm that she is travelling with you.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:22 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
...........I'm assuming the scanner is literally just to open to door so no issues scanning my pass and us both proceeding through?
That's it exactly - I have been through the UC wing lots of times with guest(s) and as a guest - it's not a problem. If you explain the situation at check in, they will often tag your guest's bags with UC bar codes to get priority.
'
Nick
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Brilliant. Thanks both!
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

Will an eligible DL Mobile Boarding Pass work to open the door?
Old Nov 12, 18, 10:11 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I detest that seperate lane for UC. I have travelled UC a couple of times in the last year and really hate that "special" lane. I will not let the taxi driver use it.

It says many many things about what is wrong with the world.

But I do like the Club House.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: