FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   MBNA & Virgin Amex and Visa cards - UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1908301-mbna-virgin-amex-visa-cards-uk.html)

Ancient Observer May 8, 2018 6:21 am

MBNA & Virgin Amex and Visa cards - UK

I received a letter this morning that says that MBNA and Virgin will end their arrangements during June 2018. Very vague sort of letter. I use their Amex and Visa cards. However, if there is no mileage in it (!) then I will want to switch .
I have heard nothing from Virgin Atlantic

UKtravelbear May 8, 2018 7:25 am

The letter says VS will sent a separate letter by the end of June.

See also this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...-released.html

Personally I'm doing nothing until I receive the further letter from MBNA.

AndyB May 10, 2018 3:00 am

I saw that other thread and have signed up for the other card. My big disappointment this morning is finding out that MBNA have charged me the annual fee on the 4th of April, I only got the cards late may last year.. So they knew this was coming and charged the fee early? Dodgy! But what can you expect from MBNA?

Raffles May 10, 2018 4:23 am

Originally Posted by AndyB (Post 29737364)
I saw that other thread and have signed up for the other card. My big disappointment this morning is finding out that MBNA have charged me the annual fee on the 4th of April, I only got the cards late may last year.. So they knew this was coming and charged the fee early? Dodgy! But what can you expect from MBNA?

You will get a refund - the BMI MBNA cardholders got a pro-rata one when those cards were closed.

Aahpub May 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I got the same letter. I'm on the free card. If I reached 10k before it is withdrawn would I still earn the economy to PE upgrade voucher?

travellingjake May 20, 2018 3:42 am

You should do, our card anniversary is September but the upgrade voucher has already posted to the F.C. account.

Incidentally, this has scuppered my plans for the voucher as I wanted to use it for travel in June 2020 but think I’ll only get up to April 2020 now. Will be calling Virgin to ask if they can honour the original voucher expiry date.

memesweeper May 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by travellingjake (Post 29773435)
You should do, our card anniversary is September but the upgrade voucher has already posted

Where do I see this on my account? I’ve logged into Flying Club and there’s no (obvious) sign of a voucher.

UKtravelbear May 21, 2018 1:56 pm

It is in the full list of you transactions.

Says something like 'credit card Econ>Premium upgrade' There isn;t actually a voucher

memesweeper May 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29778725)
It is in the full list of you transactions.

Thanks - not showing on mine. Also can’t pull transactions back for more than the last two months... website bug I assume.

UKtravelbear May 21, 2018 3:48 pm

I had no problems on the app. You can select a longer period on the website

flyoff May 31, 2018 9:15 am

I received the letter for my MBNA Black Virgin Card today. 6th July is the last day for transactions to post to earn miles. From the 7th July card purchases will earn 0.5% cashback and the card will be a Horizon Credit Card. No fees for using the card abroad and no cash withdrawal fees. No annual fee. Partial refund of the annual fee.

Not as good as the Black VA card but interesting for travel. I can see my Santander Zero card not being used anymore.

No comment on what will happen if you miss a spend target for an upgrade voucher due to the reduced time available to spend even if they moved the annual anniversary date which triggers them.

Ancient Observer Jun 3, 2018 6:59 am

After a bit of interwebby search, I think I will now use my BA/Amex card for all Amex stuff and switch to Virgin Master card for Virgin miles. Just applied and it was easier than most Interwebby applications. Decent but not generous 5,000mile bonus comes with first spend.

I looked at the paid-for version, (£160pa) but couldn't justify it to myself. I have taken the paid for option in the past, when I put all my spend with Virgin, but then I was saving to get to Syd., and they stopped flying there! A couple of Upper redemptions to HKG got rid of lots of the miles.

It is plain daft, but "free" miles feel better than 0.5% cashback.

MBNA, or whoever owns that brand now, can have its cards back.

FrogTastic Jul 30, 2018 12:34 pm

I have an existing MBNA Virgin Visa and Amex. I opened a IHG Visa last week and received my card today, we I activated it, I noticed my Virgin card had been removed and the balance transferred to the new IHG Visa.

I haven’t received a shred of paperwork concerning my Virgin cards. Anyone got any ideas?

Raffles Jul 31, 2018 1:59 am

Eh? The IHG cards are issued by Creation, not MBNA. You won't see them on the same site ....

FrogTastic Jul 31, 2018 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30030616)
Eh? The IHG cards are issued by Creation, not MBNA. You won't see them on the same site ....

Oh you are right, its likely the replacement for the Virgin, after the Virgin MBNA split.