Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards to Flying Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Ultimate Rewards to Flying Club

I am coming up on 1 year anniversary of Chase Ink card and need to transfer UR somewhere before closing it.
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club seems to have a few very nice redemptions (in principle) - like the roundtrip to Europe for example (and the outlier redemption to Senegal). But looks like all of these can only be redeemed by phone.
- What's the overall experience with award availability? I am not really picky with dates, but would like to be able to use the points within a *reasonable* time (i.e. within a month give or take of a specific date).
- How common are award devaluations (I might have to wait till next year for redemption)?
Old May 1, 2018, 9:43 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
To answer the question better, it would be good to know what routes you intend to try to book, which class and what time of the year?
Rewards on VS metal are generally reasonable for availability - but there are exceptions - like holiday destinations in school holidays.
If you intend to use the points for economy bookings, it is best to first make yourself familiar with the taxes and the horrible 'carrier imposed surcharges'. An economy NYC-LHR redemption, for example, will cost 20K points and $478 in taxes and charges.
If you are thinking of trying to redeem on any partner airline ( VS don't fly to Senegal!) - have a look at the many problems encountered in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.
As for future devaluation, no idea I am afraid ;-)

Nick
Old May 1, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the intent was to redeem for partner flights (possibly that 50K R/T business IAD-Dakar on SA, or any partner business award US-Europe).
I saw the issues reported in the other thread. So, the consensus is that even given a very flexible schedule there is no guarantee that partner awards at the stated rates may be ever available?
Old May 2, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by br2k
....... So, the consensus is that even given a very flexible schedule there is no guarantee that partner awards at the stated rates may be ever available?
Yes, I would be reluctant to xfer points to a VS account unless I had some assurance of availability.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.