What has gone wrong with the VS site?

Old Apr 7, 18, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA GLD.
What has gone wrong with the VS site?

I fly quite a bit to a small airport in the US, typically via ATL on VS. I buy PE. Pre-the recent changes, booking was no issue.

However, if I try to book it now all I get is there are no "reward seats" available, even though I have absolutely clicked on a paid fare. All it brings up is Y or UC.

Now, someone may say "that just means PE is sold out." That's not the case, as if I look for MAN-ATL-MAN there is plenty of availability over the next five weeks.

It isn't an availability issue on ATL-small US town-ATL, unless of course a town the size of Rotherham has no seats on the 4 DL flights a day to it over the next month (unlikely.) Certainly (though I appreciate it's a bit different) DL has plenty of availability over the same period for that/those flights.

It's a shame, as I really like PE on VS. I don't really want to have to buy Y, and then face the uncertainty of bidding.

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold & honoured with a Mucci des Zones de Tranquilité . Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Virgin are using some Delta planes to cover the problematical 787s that are having engine issues. The Delta metal does not have a PE section, are you trying to book onto one of those flights?
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Thank for the reply. That can't be it, as booking MAN-ATL-MAN brings up PE availability, but MAN-ATL-small town USA only brings up Y or UC.
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by rpjepson View Post
Thank for the reply. That can't be it, as booking MAN-ATL-MAN brings up PE availability, but MAN-ATL-small town USA only brings up Y or UC.
Do you get the same result if you search through delta.com?

The only thing I could think of is that the plane in use on the domestic leg does not include Comfort+ seats, which a PE itinerary would normally book in to.
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I did. DL will sell me the ticket, but for typically three grand as it seems to book into the highest PE bucket By way of reference point, MAN-ATL-MAN on VS tops out around half of that.

It's deeply frustrating, and not an issue I have ever encountered before. Tried to send a tweet to VS, but no response at all.

The domestic portion does have C+.
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

By way of post-script, the VS Twitter team have now replied.

It seems this sort of booking is no longer possible using the website, and has to be made by calling in.

Not the end of the world I suppose, but if the choices are being on hold and then having to discuss dates, prices etc and simply buying PE on the AA website....
Old Apr 9, 18, 9:36 am

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, B6, VX, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I've booked only one flight on VS over the last year. Since the horrible web make-over, it's just much easier to get stuff done on the BA site! Yes, I like the VS London Clubhouse, but I also like the ability to see a range of options and prices all at once on BA - things I have to go back and forth to see on VS. I'm only one customer, but surely others in my position (where either BA or VS will work) will feel the same way!

Virgin, "tear down this website" (and start over) - pick almost any competitor's site to see how it can be better done!
Old Apr 11, 18, 7:03 am

Programs: BA VS
StingWest
Since the horrible web make-over
My understanding is that the make over was actually, moving everything onto the Delta site/system to save money. This being why (now) the entire focus is on selling rather than service.
I sit to be corrected.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:04 am

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, B6, VX, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by Paxing View Post
StingWest

My understanding is that the make over was actually, moving everything onto the Delta site/system to save money. This being why (now) the entire focus is on selling rather than service.
I sit to be corrected.
I wish they had just copied Delta's user interface too! Check it out at www.delta.com So clean and efficient!

Search this Thread