Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Wife is freaking out over Virgin Atlantic "personal item." Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More

My wife is used to domestic US carriers-- where she typically takes her regulation-sized spinner and a small backpack as a "personal item." We're about to fly to LHR on VA, and she's worried that they'll force her to gate check either piece because their stated policy is (emphasis mine):

Your handbag, small backpack/rucksack, pocketbook or purse, as you would normally use it (in other words, not just being used to contain items that would otherwise be regarded as baggage)
What an ambiguous standard! It suggests that a gate agent will dig through the piece and search for any item that you wouldn't "normally use!" Of course I don't mean that literally. But Mrs. Alohashirt is very distraught. She's wondering what personal item she can take that she can be sure won't be sent to gate-check purgatory. Is there such a thing as a purse that can convert to a backpack, but still looks like a purse? Any other suggestions? I'd love to hear from people who fly Virgin Atlantic often enough to know what works.

We can always check a bag. But we really would rather not.
danielonn likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:55 pm

I'd interpret that as being "whatever you would take for a day trip". I also doubt they will look through the bag, but maybe someone else has experience with this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:38 pm

We've flown from LHR to ATL many times, with wheelie bags plus one other small bag---about the size of a grocery reusable tote bag---with no problems. As long as it doesn't look like you're trying to bring on two suitcases, you should be fine.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alohashirt
My wife is used to domestic US carriers-- where she typically takes her regulation-sized spinner and a small backpack as a "personal item." We're about to fly to LHR on VA, and she's worried that they'll force her to gate check either piece because their stated policy is (emphasis mine):
<snip>
The acceptable carry-on by passengers on USA based airlines & non USA based airlines is very different. Read the tickets t&cs.
Non USA based airlines get passengers onto an aircraft a lot quicker the USA based airlines. The fight for over head space is a lot less.

Virgin Atlantic = VS
Virgin Australia = VA
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
she's distraught? really??

The sizes are clearly laid out on the VS website as are the weight limits - she's more likely to be caught by that. What is 'regulation' for US domestic may not be for an international carrier.

"as you would normally use it" = not stuffed with a weeks worth of clothes.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
I've just done LHR - SFO return on VA and was a bit worried about their vague carry on policies (esp compared to BA)

I flew PE and took a standard carry on sized spinner and a small rucksack (STM Aero - https://amzn.to/2uLH8NM) with me on board for both legs without problem

There was loads of spare overhead space too
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
VA=Virgin Australia
VS=Virgin Atlantic
VX was Virgin America.

OP's lady is getting worked up over nothing. If the bags fit within the stated weigh and dimensions all should be fine.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
If the bags fit within the stated weight and dimensions all should be fine.
There are no
stated dimensions
for a personal item, and that's the whole reason I'm asking. The stated dimensions for the main carry-on are clear and complying with them is no problem. I do agree that she is probably getting worried unnecessarily. But I figure that a few experienced PAX here on Flyertalk might be able to provide some assurance and suggestions. If the gate agents on VS are half as friendly as the ones I used to encounter on VX, my wife's small purse-sized rucksack should be fine. It will only contain her headphones, makeup, travel pillow, and a book.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Personal item must be able to comfortably fit under the seat in front. That doesn't exclude you from putting it in the overhead bins, space permitting, but a second wheely-bag or a backpacker-for-the-summer backpack won't count as personal item.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:41 am

Your wife's small backpack will be fine. Think carry on bag and a purse (or ask your wife to think this). My go to personal item for VS flights is roughly 13"x16" if that helps. Fits under the seat in front of me without issue.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Initially I thought that the statement was ambiguous but the more I read and the more I read the VA policy, the more I think it makes sense. Basically, if you stick anything in there that makes them think you are trying to game the system and stuff it to the gills with a ball gown, high heels, winter and summer clothes, then you can possibly expect a tap on the shoulder. If it's genuine daily stuff that the female of the species seems to carry around in their bags then you will be fine. Basically they are trying to be as flexible as possible without PAX trying to take advantage.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:38 pm

Any experience with a "normal" work backpack?

I'll be departing tomorrow with VS from LHR to BOS and am, if not exactly freaking out, somewhat concerned about the vagueness of the language employed about the personal item.
My concern is about what constitutes "small" in the phrase "small backpack/rucksack". I've got what I would call a "normal sized" backpack for my work laptop and accoutrements. Here it is:
Amazon Amazon
Fits under the seat in front of me - do it all the time. But still I would be challenged to call it a "small backpack."
Any war stories about travelling with a normal carry on (within size/weight limits) and something like this? Either of the "fine, I do it all the time" or the "yeah I tried that and they made me check the normal carry one" variety ...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:24 am

We've flown Virgin in economy several times, with a couple of wheelie bags (in the overhead compartment) and a small duffle bag/backpack under the seat. I would be 99% certain that as long as your second item fits under the seat in front of you it won't be a problem. They just don't want people bringing on a full second suitcase and claiming it's "only a backpack". And even then, if it's not a full flight, I've found Virgin to be very kind and accommodating. Count my vote as "fine, I do it all the time".
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:41 am

Well I didn't find Virgin very accommodating when my wife and I flew them on a Delta codeshare JFK-LHR. We checked two bags and showed a wheelie bag as a carry on. The check in person got very exercised about the size of the bag (it was an older carry on) and insisted that we go to the sizer where because of the exposed wheels it didn't quite fit. Said 'it has to be checked'. I said that the carry on was empty and I would just repack the suitcase. She saw that I meant it and then said that she would check it and there would be no charge. On boarding the plane we noticed several passengers with decidedly larger carry ons who didn't have any trouble getting them on board. On the way back on Delta we had two carry ons, the same as coming out plus one we had bought in London to bring back more stuff we had bought. No problems at all. Funny thing is that all Delta check ins at Heathrow are now done by Virgin staff. Go figure!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Perhaps not terribly helpful as my experience may not be representative, but it is another data point. I flew VS from LHR-JFK last week and had similar concerns as the OP’s wife after hearing negative stories from others. I was careful to keep the weight of my 19in wheelie under the 22lb limit including my computer which was placed in that bag as required, and replaced my usual computer bag/tote with a smaller bag that held my regular personal items plus my quart bag, iPad, and spare power cords. Perhaps I was lucky, but I needn’t have worried. With no baggage to check, I used a kiosk to check in for the flight, including scanning my passport and printing my boarding pass, so I did not interact with any agent pre-security. Nobody looked at, let alone inspected the contents of, weighed or measured my bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.