Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New VAA UK credit cards released!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I use the VS card, through my Curve card, to pay my tax which is a great bulk miles earning opportunity.

I have been toying with upgrading from the basic card to the paid premium card, just to get the large sign up bonus and the double miles (not interested in any upgrade vouchers etc).

When the sign-up bonuses were raised recently, it was said (I think on HFP) that the bonus was given on the paid card even if one already had the free card. Then a week or two ago, it was said that the T&Cs had changed and that they were no longer doing this.

I can't see any detailed T&C relating to the bonus, so was wondering whether anyone can confirm definitely the current position ?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I use the VS card, through my Curve card, to pay my tax which is a great bulk miles earning opportunity.

I have been toying with upgrading from the basic card to the paid premium card, just to get the large sign up bonus and the double miles (not interested in any upgrade vouchers etc).

When the sign-up bonuses were raised recently, it was said (I think on HFP) that the bonus was given on the paid card even if one already had the free card. Then a week or two ago, it was said that the T&Cs had changed and that they were no longer doing this.

I can't see any detailed T&C relating to the bonus, so was wondering whether anyone can confirm definitely the current position ?
When you apply there is a box saying 'I am not an existing Virgin Atlantic Credit Card customer and I have not closed another credit card issued by Virgin Money in the last 6 months.'. Irrespective of whether you falsely self-certify here, it seems most people are getting letters saying they can't have another card.

I have spoken to VA today and told them that this is tricky for upgraders - and indeed potential downgraders now at the end of the first year who can't justify the fee.

For SOME people, VM is failing to spot they already have the other card and is issuing it anyway. Perhaps using a different email helps.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:38 am

That's a shame. Makes me glad I got both before they changed the T&Cs.

Previously the requirement was only that you hadn't applied in the past six months.

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99

?
It worked either way - you still got a bonus on the free card if you had the paid one, and vice versa.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Raffles
Perhaps using a different email helps.
Thats what I did. I got my 12k bonus on my second card today..
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Virgin credit card customer service has been a shambles
long telephone wait times, calls disconnected whilst on hold
conflicting information with agents not aware of terms and conditions.
I have just closed my paid card after just 10 months yesterday.
After posting this message on Flyertalk I had a nice telephone call this evening from a Virgin credit card account manager
He apologised for all the issues I have experienced and has offered me a goodwill payment !
The telephone call was a nice surprise and I am happy with the managers helpfulnes maybe I will reconsider this credit card in the future

Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by PaulH1; Jun 12, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
UK credit card miles transfer

Has anybody noticed this month or previously where miles havent posted, mine usually post like clockwork on the 14th of each month. This month still nothing posted. any others had any expereince of this?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:08 am

Mine have always posted between 1-3 days after my statement date, which is the 5th - that's true for November as well.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Mine did post albeit 18hrs later then normal.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I phoned around 8 weeks ago to cancel my virgin premium card, I couldn't justify the renewal fee that was about to kick in. I'd paid the final outstanding amount, but as it had not yet cleared, the agent said he'd wait for it to clear and then cancel the card.

The card never got cancelled, app kept telling me that it was active. I eventually did a test transaction, which failed. Customer services told me that the original agent put a block on the card, and sent it of to be cancelled, but it was never cancelled. Strange that the card was blocked, but the app said my card was active.

Given I had a high credit limit, its a bit iffy for a credit card company not to follow thru on a closure request, keeping £19K of credit on my credit file when it should have been off a few months ago. If fact it's likely outside their own T&Cs.

I asked to raise a complaint, agent was adamant that I could only raise a complaint if I told her there and then what resolution I wanted. As I wasn't out of pocket, I didn't feel asking for compensation was appropriate, so just asked for the issue to be noted and fedback, even thought I felt it warranted more action than that. Agent agreed and then said she'd authorise £25 for the inconvenence. I take from that, that she was expecting me to ask for money all along.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:36 am

Does the anniversary upgrade voucher appear in your online flying club account?

Also, if you move up a tier after it being earned but before being redeemed, does the voucher get upgraded to the respective Tiers voucher entitlement?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:56 am

Is it possible to change the Reward+ card into a basic Reward card without having to go through a process of cancellation of the Reward+ and new application for basic?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:17 am

To answer my own question, in case anyone else was wondering, you can’t.

You have to cancel the Reward+ card and, when that has been completed, apply for a new basic Reward card. This application though, according to Virgin, will be automatically declined and you then have to appeal that decision to hopefully get the application approved.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For those who top up their Revolut accounts via VA credit cards. I received this email from VA today that may be of interest:About your Revolut top-up

Hi [Cardholder]

We need to let you know that Mastercard have recently changed the way they treat top-ups to your Revolut account from your Virgin Atlantic Credit Card. From 17 January, using your Virgin Atlantic Credit Card to top up your Revolut card will be classed as a cash advance. This means there’s a fee for doing it.

We’ve only just been told this and couldn’t pass on the info any earlier. If you’ve made a Revolut top-up recently, you may spot a cash advance fee in your transactions. Don’t fret. We’ll be refunding that fee and we won’t charge any interest on that Revolut transaction. So you won’t lose out.

But it’s worth making a mental note that from now on future Revolut top-ups will be treated as cash advances, with a fee for doing them.

Kind regards

The Virgin Atlantic Credit Card Team
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If I cancel the CC does the upgrade voucher still stay in the account?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If I cancel the CC does the upgrade voucher still stay in the account?
yeah
onlysuites likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.