New VAA UK credit cards released!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by travellingjake

I've had decent value from the upgrade vouchers on the old cards, so think the new package is poor value for a red. I don’t travel for work so will never even get to silver. What I used to get for £10k spend on the Amex I now need to spend £20k which just doesn’t seem worth it.

Just a shame that I’d have no use for the BA 2-4-1 in the next few years; not quite sure what my reward credit card strategy should be now.
Forgetting the voucher, if you value a Virgin mile at 1p you won't find any rewards card which has no fee and offers a better return on day to day spend (0.75%).
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
How are Virgin Money with allowing people to hold two different cards with them? I already have a VM credit card and have an offer for extra bonus points on the Virgin Atlantic card which I want to take up. I might cancel the existing card I have with them down the line but don't want to do so just yet.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
How are Virgin Money with allowing people to hold two different cards with them? I already have a VM credit card and have an offer for extra bonus points on the Virgin Atlantic card which I want to take up. I might cancel the existing card I have with them down the line but don't want to do so just yet.
VA told me that it would be possible, but VM themselves seem to want a gap of a few months between applications.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
VA told me that it would be possible, but VM themselves seem to want a gap of a few months between applications.
Thanks. I've had the existing VM card for years and intend to keep it for now. Was wondering if they have an issue with holding two cards at the same time. To be clear the existing card is not a Virgin Atlantic card, it is just a regular Virgin money card.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:18 am

Has anyone else had a special offer from VM for the new card?

Letter came today offering 15k welcome bonus plus 6k per month for the first 3 months with minimum £1k spend. 33k points in 3 months for £160 annual fee plus the 1.5 points per £1.

Seems like a decent offer.

virginatlantic dot com slash special
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You CANNOT get this unless targetted. They are referencing against the MBNA list.

All MBNA cardholders will be offered this over the next 2 weeks. All MBNA cardholders who already have the new cards will be sent a spend challenge so they are not worse off.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Many thanks for your updates Raffles, here and over at HfP. If it was left to MBNA / Dicky Beard and co, I'd have no clue what is going on.
Its only like I want to have VS as a airline option when it comes to long-haul flying!! Which means flight network, partners, VFC and ancillaries like CC/Tesco need to work to make an overall package. I suspect I will look at the new VM card, I can't see any way I'll target VS flying to above Red tier. They will probably be in the frame to get about a third of my BA/AA North America flights.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:56 am

I hit the £10k spend target for the upgrade voucher a month ago but still can't see anything in the credit card or flying club online accounts.

Anyone know where I should expect to see the voucher?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by todderz
I hit the £10k spend target for the upgrade voucher a month ago but still can't see anything in the credit card or flying club online accounts.

This is over a year ago now, but mine didn't post automatically and I had to contact MBNA and Virgin before they were manually posted into my FC account. I think they then appeared in the Activity section where points earned normally show. It took a while and a few calls!

Last edited by ankomonkey; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Look at your activity on your Virgin Atlantic flying club page and its there.. Will say something like VAA credit card econ>premium award x 2
todderz likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:33 pm

Once the voucher has posted in the flying club do you have to keep the credit card to redeem the voucher (like the BA Amex)?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by munch2001
Once the voucher has posted in the flying club do you have to keep the credit card to redeem the voucher (like the BA Amex)?
No, and for the record you dont have to keep the Ba Amex either..
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:49 am

I can see "Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Credit Card - Reward Qualification" but I still don't see anything that looks like a voucher...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
No, and for the record you dont have to keep the Ba Amex either..
but you do need *an* Amex
munch2001 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Brown, Hilton Gold
No voucher and difficult to book

I can see "Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Credit Card - Reward Qualification" but I still don't see anything that looks like a voucher...
Having been through the painful process of booking a companion reward flight using my Virgin Money voucher this week, you don't actually get any virtual or physical voucher, just a note on your account that you qualified for the reward.

One problem you might have (as I did) is convincing the call center agent that there are new rewards available and that a companion reward ticket doesn't required a revenue ticket (like the old MBNA card reward did)

I took over two hours, and two escalations in the call center to eventually find someone who knew how to book these companion rewards. I had one "manager" become very rude and insisting I was wrong and the website was incorrect when I kept pointing out new rewards now available and that I had qualified for one of them.

It seems that several months after launching the cards, few in the call center have been trained or or aware of the new awards.

Regards

Neil

Last edited by spellinn; Aug 21, 2018 at 4:47 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.