Search

Virgin Atlantic: first loss in 4 years

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Virgin Atlantic: first loss in 4 years

https://www.ft.com/content/a81e071a-...e-cc62a39d57a0

Blaming weak pound, Rolls Royce and weather issues.

They don't expect to make a profit this year.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic
I would guess that the discount airlines are also having an impact.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Can't even make money by cherry picking the best routes out of Heathrow, one of the highest yielding markets in the world.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:25 am
formerly JackDann

I loved flying Virgin from the West Coast but they were ALWAYS at least 25% more expensive than other airlines. To a point where prices were not even competitive anymore. Interestingly this isn't so much the case if you were booking a return from London, rather than California. They should look into their pricing strategy for U.S based travellers and price up more competitively.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No short-haul network means that VS is hugely dependent on British passengers and a big % of the ticket fare goes to the exchequer (and LHR) as APD and airport charges. Thanks to Brexit the pound doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. Oil is up, substantially so in sterling terms. Norwegian is happy to steal the highly price-conscious travellers, with newer planes to boot.

No wonder SRB is selling...
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Thanks to Brexit the pound doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. Oil is up, substantially so in sterling terms.
These statements are not accurate. Sterling is up substantially (in USD) and up a bit in Euros over the last 12 months. Brent is higher in the past year but still well below the period before 2014.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by JackDann
I loved flying Virgin from the West Coast but they were ALWAYS at least 25% more expensive than other airlines. To a point where prices were not even competitive anymore. Interestingly this isn't so much the case if you were booking a return from London, rather than California. They should look into their pricing strategy for U.S based travellers and price up more competitively.
I will pay up for Virgin on my regular route (JFK-LHR). Discounters might save me $100 but their times are not as attractive. For me, that's not worth it. And, I've already got my Flying Club plan in place that I can use to upgrade regularly.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ri_us
These statements are not accurate. Sterling is up substantially (in USD) and up a bit in Euros over the last 12 months. Brent is higher in the past year but still well below the period before 2014.
Since the referendum (June 2016 1.50 USD:GBP) GBP is well down against USD. It's not even close to recovering although of course it is off of its lows. Brent priced in sterling is accordingly more expensive, although admittedly not as bad as the heights pre 2014.

Euros is entirely irrelevant for VS since very little of their costs or revenues will be in euros.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:40 am

Since the referendum (June 2016 1.50 USD:GBP) GBP is well down against USD. It's not even close to recovering although of course it is off of its lows. Brent priced in sterling is accordingly more expensive, although admittedly not as bad as the heights pre 2014..
I limited my observation of the direction of the currencies and Brent to the past 12 months as they cover 75% of the fiscal year in question.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
And the website update wont have helped..
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ri_us
I limited my observation of the direction of the currencies and Brent to the past 12 months as they cover 75% of the fiscal year in question.
GBP traded between $1.25 and $1.35 throughout 2017, only jumping at the end of the year really.

And fuel is often hedged in advance. So all VS had to do was buy much of 2017's fuel when sterling was at $1.25 and Brent in the mid-50s...

If you are going to call people's posts "not accurate", please do your homework first.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:16 am

If you are going to call people's posts "not accurate", please do your homework first.
Wow.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sealink
https://www.ft.com/content/a81e071a-...e-cc62a39d57a0

Blaming weak pound, Rolls Royce and weather issues.

They don't expect to make a profit this year.
They don't dare blame Delta. How about blaming Norwegian and the Icelandic carriers?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They don't dare blame Delta. How about blaming Norwegian and the Icelandic carriers?
And this year will also see BA densifying their LGW fleet to offer more Y and Y+ seats adding more capacity onto routes that they compete.

Despite their relentless cost cutting over the past few years it looks like they can't make money when times are good and have a complex fleet 4 types soon to be 5 for only 38/39 aircraft.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I book both VS and BA for my frequent trips TATL. I think VS could do a much better job with their website, in offering fares with "some" flexibility right up front. For example, I normally book business fares between the USA and London. On the website, both VS and BA offer non-refundable C fares in the same ballpark pricewise (although BA's have been trending lower than VS fares recently). But one trick BA has available on LHR flights is to offer F at a very small premium over C, but with the flights booking into a refundable A class. VS doesn't have the luxury (and burden) of offering an F fare, but should consider offering more flexible fares at a higher, but not exorbitant, price over the non-refundable cost, and display these options on the website. I have been booking BA exclusively for this reason for my last 4 C round-trips.

Fixing this pricing inflexibility, and VS's aging C seat design and layout, are two things that could be improved that might appeal more to the business traveler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.