787 Economy Y Extra Legroom Seats

Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
787 Economy Y Extra Legroom Seats

I'm flying SEA-LHR in Y this week on the 787. The seat map shows all ABC/HJK seats from row 46-51 as "economy extra legroom" with an "extra three inches of space." I know in the past there were only 6 extra legroom seats in economy on this plane. I found a news article (Virgin Atlantic to increase legroom in economy class) suggesting they are retrofitting these planes to increase the number of extra legroom seats. Have they truly already reconfigured some, or am I wasting my money paying for one of these seats?

Cheers!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:41 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I think the press release you link to is the news that VS only announced last week, so is for the future, not your current trip.
See this thread for details - VS announce re-vamp to Economy travel experience.
Personally, I am 6' 2", and whenever I fly down the back, I always try to book exit row seats. If they have already gone, then I go for the extra leg room.
The thought of flying from the west coast, overnight in one of the normal Y seats, is not a pleasant thought for me.
The downside to exit row seats is that, because the table is in the arm rest, the width of the seat isn't as generous as it might be.
IMHO, money spent on extra leg room is never wasted money.

Nick
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
The extra rows of extra legroom seats on the 787 are reflected on the airline seatmap, however not on Seatguru.as yet. Seatguru cautions against row 45 (bulkhead and immovable armrests/narrow seats). With the added rows, would that row(45) still be a poor choice?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.