Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

“Love Suites” Coming to Virgin Atlantic A330-200

Old Feb 2, 18, 2:05 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.

Article on front page of Flyertalk - https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/l...-a330-200.html

Nick
Old Feb 3, 18, 12:30 am

So... they are sprucing up the existing Airberlin seat (same as first-gen Etihad flat J seat, which is now two generations behind) and pretending it's something new and special?

It would almost be disappointing if they didn't also try to charge extra for the privilege of being in the "love seat".
Old Feb 3, 18, 7:39 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Wait ... why is this a good thing? 2-4-2 is awfully cramped for an a330, isn't it?
Old Feb 3, 18, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Wait ... why is this a good thing? 2-4-2 is awfully cramped for an a330, isn't it?
It’s not a good thing, it is a way of spinning a bad thing.
Old Feb 3, 18, 3:48 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, UK RT, BA Gold, VS , Hertz 5 Star, HH, PP, B6 Mosaic
Redeeming my Flying Club Miles for the A330 in UC was the worst waste of miles EVER. Cramped and horrible.

This latest attempt is "lipstick on a pig".

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
Redeeming my Flying Club Miles for the A330 in UC was the worst waste of miles EVER. Cramped and horrible.

This latest attempt is "lipstick on a pig".
A 4-year lease on AirBerlin planes suggests - to me - that the 787 engine fix is not the sole pretext.
Old Feb 7, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
UC on the 787 felt "more cramped" than on the A330.
Old Feb 7, 18, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
A 4-year lease on AirBerlin planes suggests - to me - that the 787 engine fix is not the sole pretext.
perhaps waiting for the A350 orders to come through and some currently unspecified route expansion
LegalTender likes this.
Old Mar 13, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Okay--semi-bummer. They have switched our return flight later this year from MAN to ATL from a 747-400 to one of these 333-200. Has anyone actually seen or flown in one of these "Love Suite" UC cabins--assuming they are already in service? Our (my wife and I) inclination is to go with the Solo Corner Suites, even though that puts one of us in an A seat and the other in a K seat. They just seem the most secluded and best for either working, resting, reading, etc. Plus, nice to have the window to look out of and get natural light.

If anyone has seen one of these or been on one, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 14, 18, 5:45 pm

From everything I've read, VS is simply rebranding the old AB business class seat and I'd venture to guess at most may slap some new upholstery on them. With that said, I've flown them back in the AB days and would recommend taking window seats over the center "Love Suite". Being next to the windows is always a plus in my mind and between eating, watching films and napping, how much time do people traveling together really end up having a conversation?

The center seats are very much right on top of one another with very narrow armrests between them - think BA Club World center seats, just with an extra little ledge (to hold a bottle of water at most) on the aisle sides. Unlike newer versions of this seat (ie. what Iberia has installed), there is no large side table since these older versions have the IFE screen of the staggered seat behind you pushed as far forward as possible - meaning no space for a table (just the water bottle ledge).

Also, from my own personal experience, I preferred the "true" window seats as I'd call them (the A and K seats - or Solo Corner Suites as VS is calling them) since the do offer more privacy as there's the buffer between you and the aisle but likewise because these seats are definitely on the short side when made into the flatbed and the footstool is open on the side near the wall which meant it gave a little more freedom/room for my feet rather than being mashed up against the back wall of the footstool.

I know some people would suggest if going for window seats as a couple to do A and C or H and K so you're technically as close as possible, but the reality is as high as the back and wall of the seat pods are, it won't be easy to lean forward/back to have a conversation - so just go (if available) with two A or K seats. Not to mention the C and H ("Solo Freedom Suites") are extremely exposed to the aisle.

Anyway, that's my insight into those seats - and believe me, if you prefer privacy, the A and K seats are the best by far.

Last edited by pmanchuk; Mar 14, 18 at 5:53 pm
Old Mar 15, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by pmanchuk View Post
From everything I've read, VS is simply rebranding the old AB business class seat and I'd venture to guess at most may slap some new upholstery on them. With that said, I've flown them back in the AB days and would recommend taking window seats over the center "Love Suite". Being next to the windows is always a plus in my mind and between eating, watching films and napping, how much time do people traveling together really end up having a conversation?

The center seats are very much right on top of one another with very narrow armrests between them - think BA Club World center seats, just with an extra little ledge (to hold a bottle of water at most) on the aisle sides. Unlike newer versions of this seat (ie. what Iberia has installed), there is no large side table since these older versions have the IFE screen of the staggered seat behind you pushed as far forward as possible - meaning no space for a table (just the water bottle ledge).

Also, from my own personal experience, I preferred the "true" window seats as I'd call them (the A and K seats - or Solo Corner Suites as VS is calling them) since the do offer more privacy as there's the buffer between you and the aisle but likewise because these seats are definitely on the short side when made into the flatbed and the footstool is open on the side near the wall which meant it gave a little more freedom/room for my feet rather than being mashed up against the back wall of the footstool.

I know some people would suggest if going for window seats as a couple to do A and C or H and K so you're technically as close as possible, but the reality is as high as the back and wall of the seat pods are, it won't be easy to lean forward/back to have a conversation - so just go (if available) with two A or K seats. Not to mention the C and H ("Solo Freedom Suites") are extremely exposed to the aisle.

Anyway, that's my insight into those seats - and believe me, if you prefer privacy, the A and K seats are the best by far.
Thank you so much pmanchuk for this detailed and great review of the seating options on this aircraft. It completely reinforces what I had already surmised, and I had already put us in A and K seats. Always good to get up and move around quite a bit on a TATL flight anyway, so plenty of opportunities to visit with each other.
Old Apr 30, 18, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM
where is this equipment flying?
Old Apr 30, 18, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
where is this equipment flying?
All of the Love-Suite'ed A330-200 are based in MAN. I'm not sure of specific routes.
Old May 1, 18, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Some are on LGW routes too. I looked at ANU recently and that was an A332.
Old May 12, 18, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
G-VLNM, ex D-ABXB departed Marshalls Cambridge in full Virgin livery yesterday afternoon, bringing the ex-Berlin fleet up to four

Search this Thread
Search Engine: