Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles for flights, upgrades or holidays

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Question Miles for flights, upgrades or holidays

Sorry if this has been covered already - I'm new to this forum, and to Virgin Atlantic miles; and I know it might be a little generic

I have got Virgin miles that I want to use when booking flights from Manchester to Orlando in October 2019 when they go on sale.

I have a few queries:
Is it better value points-wise to use points for getting money off the actual flights vs. using them to upgrade flights you have paid cash for?
Is it better value points-wise to use points on flights vs. a holiday including flights and hotel?
When flights go on sale, will I be able to buy flights with points on that day, or do the points ones get released at a different time?
Can you upgrade using points at any time once you have bought flights with cash?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Welcome to FlyerTalk willnevile!

1) It's pretty terrible value to use points for money off flights. The conversion rate for points to pound are terrible. I would advise not doing this unless you have many hundreds of thousands of miles to burn.
2) It's almost always best value to use points for straight redemption's (usually in Upper Class, but any class is fine). They can be used for hotels and other things, but the value tends to be less. Most people use the rule of 1p per mile. Any more than that, its great value, below it, not so great.
3) Reward flights won't necessarily be released when revenue fares are. Whenever you do see availability, using either the Virgin Atlantic site or a tool like Expert Flyer, snap them up because they go quick; a lot of people check at least once a day, if not more. None may be offered at all on the popular routes (of which MCO does fall into the category of).
4) Upgrading with points requires a seat to be available for mileage redemption, in the same manner as point 3. The ticket will also need to be an upgrade-able fare bucket. See Stuart_f's excellent guide on upgrading with miles here. For cash upgrades, that can be done over the phone if the fare buckets are not totally inflexible, or on the day at the airport subject to availability.

Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.