Wiki Posts
Search

747-400 Upper Class Seating

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Question 747-400 Upper Class Seating

Hi Nick et al. My wife and I fly VS between ATL and MAN, and previously it has always been on a 333. Our trip for later this year is showing the return to be a 747-400 (we are actually flying outbound to AMS). It looks like the seating starts with Row 6 (?), and there are seven rows with two seats per row? Is this correct and are there any specific recommendations on seats? I currently have us in 8K and 9K. How are the seats compared to the 333 (the version with four seats per row)? Also, is this something where they show the seat map like this, but at the last minute likely switch it to a version of the aircraft that has more than 2 seats per row? This happened to us last year with a 333.

Cheers, atl runner
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: VS Gold
A lot of folks find 6A and 6K to be great for couples, you are sat quite close together right at the nose.

Edit: For trivia, as it seems like you wondered why, it starts row 6 as the 747s which used to serve out of LHR (all of which are now out of service or reconfigured) had 5 rows of Upper Class seats on the top deck, so 1-5 upstairs and 6 onwards downstairs! The only 747s in use are based in LGW/MAN are of an economy-heavy leisure config.

Last edited by SlimpyJones; Jan 18, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
A lot of folks find 6A and 6K to be great for couples, you are sat quite close together right at the nose.

Edit: For trivia, as it seems like you wondered why, it starts row 6 as the 747s which used to serve out of LHR (all of which are now out of service or reconfigured) had 5 rows of Upper Class seats on the top deck, so 1-5 upstairs and 6 onwards downstairs! The only 747s in use are based in LGW/MAN are of an economy-heavy leisure config.
How are the seats and the UC cabin, in general?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: VS Gold
The seats are the same as the rest of the VS flight, they are no different. As for the cabin, it feels very exclusive as there are only 14 seats situated right in the nose, with a lot of room to walk around. I've sat in 10A in the 747 UC cabin, this was my view. As you can see row 6 right at the front is quite intimate, good for a couple:

Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
The hard product is roughly the same as other seats in the fleet. I believe the 747 seats are slightly larger than the other aircraft, but only marginal and you wouldnt notice unless you got a tape measure out.

Other things to note -

Rows 6 and 7 are quite close together, which Slimpy's picture shows quite well.
Lack of overhead storage in rows 6 and 7, but better access to the wardrobe which the crew usually facilitate.
The bar is between rows 11 and 12, and blocks the view across the space from those seats.
IFE is not touchscreen on the 744.
The bedside light is different to the 330 and 787.
Being in the nose feels very special.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info--and also the great picture--SlimpyJones and CommanderB. We will have to decide if the coziness of row 6 is worth giving up overhead space. What do you do with your carry-on bags? We are pretty use to doing TATL flights with one of us behind the other, so for now I have us in 8K and 9K.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I've flown 9K before and its been fine. Plenty over overhead space there.

If I was in row 6 or 7, i'd be getting on first and getting whatever overhead or wardrobe space I can.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:22 am

In row 6 and 7 can you not put a small carry on under the ottoman or even behind the seat?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
The bedding is behind the seat so there's no space there. The ottoman area needs to be clear of trip hazards for take off and landing.

I'm still a huge fan of 6A/K, just board early. You can tell if the occupants 7A/K are frequent flyers by the amount of space they leave in the overhead bins
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CommanderB
I've flown 9K before and its been fine. Plenty over overhead space there.

If I was in row 6 or 7, i'd be getting on first and getting whatever overhead or wardrobe space I can.
CommanderB, by "wardrobe space." are you referring to the curtained off space in front of Row 6 (seen in Slimpy's picture)? Also, assuming that is storage space, is access only allowed through the FA's?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by atl runner
CommanderB, by "wardrobe space." are you referring to the curtained off space in front of Row 6 (seen in Slimpy's picture)? Also, assuming that is storage space, is access only allowed through the FA's?
that’s the wall between the cabin and the radar dome.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanA

that’s the wall between the cabin and the radar dome.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
The seats are the same as the rest of the VS flight, they are no different. As for the cabin, it feels very exclusive as there are only 14 seats situated right in the nose, with a lot of room to walk around. I've sat in 10A in the 747 UC cabin, this was my view. As you can see row 6 right at the front is quite intimate, good for a couple:

Great pic
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:11 am

The seats at the rear of that cabin (I think row 12) can be a bit noisy as they are by the bar and toilets. I travel solo usually and try and book row 6 at the front. There is a small storage for a handbag under the foot rest and other onboard luggage can be put in the wardrobe. I usually fly with a small backpack which I retrieve from the wardrobe during the flight and stow behind the seat once I have removed the duvet and pillow, or under the bed once it is made up. There is also a small shelf above the seats between the seat and the bulkead wall, large enough to keep books, laptop or small backpack on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.