Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6K miles for 2-day Avis rental, book by 2/28

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
6K miles for 2-day Avis rental, book by 2/28

Posted in Avis wiki partner promotions also- rental must begin by 6/30 good virtually everywhere, intermediate and above. Not sure if this is a one-time bonus or re-occurring.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
By intermediate, you mean Group C and above, a condition that I missed the first time I did one of these promotions. The deal is good, but I’ve had so many problems with Avis-Budget, namely extra charges and miles not posting, that I think I will pass on this one.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, DL DM, Hertz PC, National EE
I made two 2-day rentals last week. The miles were posted yesterday but only 500 miles for each rental. Has anyone see the additional 5500 bonus miles posted to his/her account?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah here we go again. Good luck, mate, really. For me, these bonuses never post, at least not without a huge amount of hassle and lost energy. Seriously, I might consider it if they’re offering 50,000 miles. But below that it just ain’t worth it (especially if you start adding up the hours you lose on it). It’s high time something legal was done about this false advertising scam.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:34 am

How long does it generally take for /any/ miles (even just the base 500) to post to Flying Club from Avis? I had a rental that ended about a week ago and have yet to see anything.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Ah here we go again. Good luck, mate, really. For me, these bonuses never post, at least not without a huge amount of hassle and lost energy. Seriously, I might consider it if they’re offering 50,000 miles. But below that it just ain’t worth it (especially if you start adding up the hours you lose on it). It’s high time something legal was done about this false advertising scam.
Agreed! I had a real job of chasing up missing base and bonus Flying Club miles from an Avis rental last year.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, just a few years ago I would have been drooling at the thought of just 3,000 miles for a rental. But now, 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles, 20,000 .... just not interested. It has to be way up near 50,000 before I'm prepared to put myself through all this crap again. And I am not alone, really. Don't you think they are shooting themselves in the foot with these stupid pretend promotions? You know, word of mouth can be really damaging and I am doing a lot of it against Avis Budget these days, ostensibly to prevent other people from going through the same frustrations. And just don't get me started on all these bogus extra charges that one seems to end up with after returning cars, mostly at airport locations. People are always interested to hear about those from an experienced traveler.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:36 pm

I saw this offer too and booked a 2 day rental class C for June.
But thinking of canceling after reading the experiences in here.

Not a fan of Avis but will live with them for 6000 miles.
If they arent going to give me 6000 miles...i'll just cancel.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:11 pm

My 6500 bonus points posted today from a 2 week rental 10-25 Feb. Got an upgraded vehicle and no issues with any excess charges.

Price paid was also lowest available at the time, and the Preferred Collect & Go service worked great at MIA.

Faultless experience with Avis.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent. I’m glad to read this feedback. Because in my heart of hearts I would like to participate in all these promotions. But Avis I am giving a wide berth at the moment.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by gjbower
My 6500 bonus points posted today from a 2 week rental 10-25 Feb. Got an upgraded vehicle and no issues with any excess charges.

Price paid was also lowest available at the time, and the Preferred Collect & Go service worked great at MIA.

Faultless experience with Avis.
Did you use the Virgin Atlantic AWD code for this? I have qualifying rentals that ended on Feb 8th and 19th, and haven't seen bonus points for either.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:48 pm

Concerto - I think these promos are a bit of a lottery - failed to get any miles via BA/Avis a couple of years back and would have not jumped on this if I hadn’t needed the rental and it wasn’t the cheapest anyway, so glad I did in the end.

thecxguy - I just booked through the link on the offer page and wasn’t familiar with AWDs at the time. Maybe worth dropping an email into Avis to chase up?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
You know, just a few years ago I would have been drooling at the thought of just 3,000 miles for a rental. But now, 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles, 20,000 .... just not interested. It has to be way up near 50,000 before I'm prepared to put myself through all this crap again. And I am not alone, really. Don't you think they are shooting themselves in the foot with these stupid pretend promotions? You know, word of mouth can be really damaging and I am doing a lot of it against Avis Budget these days, ostensibly to prevent other people from going through the same frustrations. And just don't get me started on all these bogus extra charges that one seems to end up with after returning cars, mostly at airport locations. People are always interested to hear about those from an experienced traveler.
Do you mind me asking which locations you've had bogus charges from? I have 3 rentals coming up in the US, never used Avis always Hertz but Avis are quite a bit cheaper this time. Do you usually Pay in advance or Pay at Location?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by wheatbeer
Do you mind me asking which locations you've had bogus charges from? I have 3 rentals coming up in the US, never used Avis always Hertz but Avis are quite a bit cheaper this time. Do you usually Pay in advance or Pay at Location?
LAX tried to charge me an extra hundred dollars or so the last time I was there--there was a long line and I didn't check the rental agreement before leaving the facility. Got it worked out when I was returning the car, but the service rep kept insisting that it was my fault, so I'm trying to avoid using Avis for the forseeable future.

In other news, I tried to take advantage of this promo twice, and I haven't been able to get the bonus points no matter how much I follow up with both Avis and Virgin Atlantic. I know it's just a couple of datapoints but it's worth keeping in mind if you see significantly lower rates with other firms.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are talking about airport locations here. The most recent was at Nice airport. When you fuel up you must ask for an extra copy of the receipt and give it to the agent, or leave it in the car. Keep a copy for yourself.

The other major overcharge happened at MIA airport for a pickup that started at FLL (Fort Lauderdale) airport, where I was massively overcharged for an upgrade I thought was complimentary. Of course, it being a one way rental MIA just kept referring it back to FLL. If ever you're offered an upgrade be very sure what the conditions are and make double sure you read all that text before you sign for it. Never mind if you're holding people up behind you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.