Upgrade Virgin flight booked through Delta

Old Jan 14, 18, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade Virgin flight booked through Delta

So, I booked a paid multicity PE Virgin flight LAX to LHR in April (returning via AF from CDG) through Delta. I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade to UC either with VS points or paid and if so, how to go about it. When I log into Virgin's website there's a button to bid, but it says that I'm ineligible to bid.
Old Jan 15, 18, 1:28 am

Programs: VS Gold
You won't be able to use points (I assume you mean Virgin flying club points?) to upgrade a Delta-purchased ticket. Though cash should be possible - you'll need to contact Delta to arrange it as they are the point of sale
Old Jan 15, 18, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes. I was referring to virgin points. Thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Point of fact, if you had Delta points, you could upgrade a Delta-purchased, Virgin-operated PE flight. It's 25,000 SkyMiles to upgrade from VS PE to Upper Class. Honestly, it's one of the best SkyMiles values going right now.
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Global Entry, TSA Pre√
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
Point of fact, if you had Delta points, you could upgrade a Delta-purchased, Virgin-operated PE flight. It's 25,000 SkyMiles to upgrade from VS PE to Upper Class. Honestly, it's one of the best SkyMiles values going right now.
Hi, are you sure about the above? Or could you explain further? I just tried to request this upgrade and was told by Delta it was impossible. I have a paid PE ticket (G) purchased through Delta.com on a Delta coded / Virgin operated flight (BOS-LHR) next December (still plenty of availability in all cabins - I think I was the first booker). I am a gold medallion and have plenty of miles to pay for an upgrade. I only talked to one agent (maybe I should call again and see if I get a different answer from a different agent?). Thanks for any clarification.
Old Jan 18, 18, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by TWAnonrev View Post
Hi, are you sure about the above? Or could you explain further? I just tried to request this upgrade and was told by Delta it was impossible. I have a paid PE ticket (G) purchased through Delta.com on a Delta coded / Virgin operated flight (BOS-LHR) next December (still plenty of availability in all cabins - I think I was the first booker). I am a gold medallion and have plenty of miles to pay for an upgrade. I only talked to one agent (maybe I should call again and see if I get a different answer from a different agent?). Thanks for any clarification.
Completely sure I just did it from Dulles this week. But I can also confirm that at least 50 % of the SkyMiles agents you'll talk to are idiots and won't know how to do it.

The steps to take are look at Delta.com and see if there's a Virgin Atlantic Upper Class award ticket available on your flight. That's the key you need upgrade availability on the Virgin flight, and Virgin treats award and upgrade availability the same. So if there's an Upper Class award seat available on your flight, there should be an upgrade available.

Once you've established there's a seat, you call the Medallion line and tell them you'd like to upgrade. The semi-magic words are to remind them to look at availability on the Virgin flight number. So, in my case, I booked DL-coded flights MSP-IAD and IAD-LHR, and then I asked them to look for upgrade availability on VS22 the VS flight number for IAD-LHR. Voila, the third agent I spoke to found the availability and I was confirmed into Upper Class. PE was $50 cheaper than regular economy and I will be flying it in Upper Class for an additional 25,000 miles.

Good luck!
ab_initio likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Excellent deal indeed. Problem is the scarcity of G availability.

btw, anybody knows how many skymiles it would take to upgrade from Economy to PE ?
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:01 am

Completely sure — I just did it from Dulles this week. But I can also confirm that at least 50 % of the SkyMiles agents you'll talk to are idiots and won't know how to do it.

The steps to take are look at Delta.com and see if there's a Virgin Atlantic Upper Class award ticket available on your flight. That's the key — you need upgrade availability on the Virgin flight, and Virgin treats award and upgrade availability the same. So if there's an Upper Class award seat available on your flight, there should be an upgrade available.

Once you've established there's a seat, you call the Medallion line and tell them you'd like to upgrade. The semi-magic words are to remind them to look at availability on the Virgin flight number. So, in my case, I booked DL-coded flights MSP-IAD and IAD-LHR, and then I asked them to look for upgrade availability on VS22 — the VS flight number for IAD-LHR. Voila, the third agent I spoke to found the availability and I was confirmed into Upper Class. PE was $50 cheaper than regular economy and I will be flying it in Upper Class for an additional 25,000 miles.

Good luck!
Success! You are my hero.

Did get hit for an additional "luxury tax" of $211 per person out of LHR. I wasn't going to argue. So all told, my original PE (G) tickets were $950 each, plus the new $210 tax & 25k miles each. Still quite a bit cheaper than the currently advertised price of $2,964 RT for Upper Class! That's a SkyMiles redemption rate of $.072 per mile.

Thanks for the explanation/encouragement.

Last edited by TWAnonrev; Jan 20, 18 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:22 am

Upgraded for 25,000 miles per person, each way = 100,000 total. Did get hit for an additional "luxury tax" of $211 per person out of LHR. I wasn't going to argue. So all told, my original PE (G) tickets were $950 each, plus the new $210 tax & 50k miles each. Still quite a bit cheaper than the currently advertised price of $2,964 RT for Upper Class! That's a SkyMiles redemption rate of $.036 per mile. Not bad at all.

Happy to help as long as you're not taking my seat! ;-)
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:29 am

Happy to help — as long as you're not taking my seat! ;-)
Was that 25k miles each way or round trip? My flights have been upgraded in both directions and so far they seem to only be hitting me for 25k miles per person total.

Last edited by TWAnonrev; Jan 20, 18 at 8:46 pm
Old Jan 19, 18, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
How did you guys do it, kept calling in ? I have been monitoring G availability on EF, but no luck up to now.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:14 pm

Was that 25k miles each way or round trip? My flights have been upgraded in both directions and so far they seem to only be hitting me for 25k miles per person total. Perhaps the additional miles will process later or this is an even better deal than I outlined above.
I only upgraded one way because I'm flying the direct LHR-MSP on DL (no PE) on the way back.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
How did you guys do it, kept calling in ? I have been monitoring G availability on EF, but no luck up to now.
Searched for availability via Delta.com and then, once I found it, I called until I got an agent who could figure it out.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:21 pm

Searched for availability via Delta.com and then, once I found it, I called until I got an agent who could figure it out.
Yes. It took me two calls: the first was a nice young guy who said it wasn't possible to upgrade and I didn't argue. I then called back and got an older woman who instantaneously gave me the feeling that she was the one who could help me out... and she did. Follow the instructions above and don't be afraid to call a few times until you get the right person.
Old Jan 20, 18, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador

Upgraded for 25,000 miles per person, each way = 100,000 total. Did get hit for an additional "luxury tax" of $211 per person out of LHR. I wasn't going to argue. So all told, my original PE (G) tickets were $950 each, plus the new $210 tax & 50k miles each. Still quite a bit cheaper than the currently advertised price of $2,964 RT for Upper Class! That's a SkyMiles redemption rate of $.036 per mile. Not bad at all.

As you were already in PE on the ex-UK leg then there would be NO additional Air Passenger Duty (please give it it's proper name) to pay as you would have already paid the proper rate for a premium cabin. What you paid were the VS charges and supplements which aren't taxes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: