Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to burn low FC balance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Best way to burn low FC balance?

I have a low balance (~17K) in my FC account, which are expiring soon. Since I have no opportunity to increase that balance in the forseeable future, what is the best way to use the miles, short of charity?

Also, do the FC rules allow me to book an award flight beyond the expiry date of the miles if the booking is of course done prior to expiry?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
On your second question - yes you can book a flight for a later date than when the miles actually expire.

not sure what 17k miles would get yiu in terms of a reward but you can also use them to reduce the cost of a flight using the miles plus cash option.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Not knowing your personal circumstances, one option would be to apply for the credit card, MS the bonus, and then cancel the card. That'd give you another three years. IIRC you could also buy 1000 points and call it a day (since that would give you three years from the transaction date to use the points or generate more activity).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
If you use Hilton or IHG hotels then you can transfer your FC miles to their schemes.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Keep the miles alive by doing a minor transaction. You never know when you will find a use for them.

More than once I've burned a bunch of miles or points on something silly and low-value, only to wish I still had them 6-9 months later when a need arose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.