Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Opening Overhead Bins While Taxing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Passengers Opening Overhead Bins While Taxing

I was on a recent flight and some passengers behind us had a tight connection. After we landed and during taxing a member of the cabin crew got up and told these passengers to go to seats at the front so they can get off quicker.

They then proceeded to open the overhead bins, get their luggage and go to the front.

Of course underneath the bins was my wife, so if there was any bump or sudden braking then perhaps some luggage could have fallen on her head.

To be clear, we were moving the whole time, seat belt sign was on.

Then just before we stopped at the gate about a dozen passengers got up and opened the overhead bins. My thought is that they were emboldened by what they just saw. Cabin crew did nothing.

I'm curious to know what others think about this. I've flown many time but never seen any behavior like this, so I was surprised.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Nothing spectacular
What airline was this on and what country was this in? That would determine whether I'm surprised or not. If this is America or Europe, I would be stunned. I've been on flights where people try to stand and instantly get told to sit down by FAs. But id this is between two countries of very different culture, possibly a language barrier, and mostly new fliers, then it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

This was Virgin Atlantic, from USA landing in the UK. I contacted the airline about it - they didn't seem to care.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:44 am

They did the same for me many years ago. Had about 45 minutes to get from flight to another (T4 -> T5 at JFK). I was very grateful and sent an email thanking the crew.

I think we need to be realistic about the level of risk. It's nowhere near as bumpy as a London Underground train or anywhere near light turbulence. It would take one hell of a bump on the ground to make luggage fall out of the overhead bins - almost impossible.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm with the OP in that you shouldn't make exceptions then get on the loudspeaker on the next flight to scream at people doing it on their own initiative.

@VictorSierra it's not the bumpiness, but the fact that a sudden slamming on the brakes would send people and luggage flying.

I personally would sue an airline if a bag was dropped on my head based on flight attendant guidance to do it before arrival to the gate...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
It's also the type of situation where a bit of movement could end up with a heavy case (which half the world seems be use nowadays) braining someone, which is already a risk when the flight isn't moving...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
I was on this mornings flight arrival into LHR from IAD when on taxiing to the stand the pilot had to make an emergency stop which threw everyone forward in their seats.

Had the situation you described been happening without any doubt anyone standing would have been thrown off their feet, and had they been pulling luggage down at the time that would have landed on someones head.

Sounds like CC made a judgement call, but with possibly serious consequences had they made same call on my flight this morning...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I've often wondered why it's deemed safe for cabin crew to wander around the cabin whilst taxiing to the runway, but not for them to get up after landing?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Surely they should do the move during the cdescent, before seat belt signs on, happened for me a number of times
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I had this yesterday on CX766 where a couple of passengers in the front part of Y cabin bolted for the PE cabin for their rollaboards while the plane stopped in the taxiway.

ISM asked on the tannoy, then shouted "Madam would you *please* return to your seat". Too bad the ISM didn't notice the passenger wasn't speaking English.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by DirtyDavey
I was on this mornings flight arrival into LHR from IAD when on taxiing to the stand the pilot had to make an emergency stop which threw everyone forward in their seats.

Had the situation you described been happening without any doubt anyone standing would have been thrown off their feet, and had they been pulling luggage down at the time that would have landed on someones head.

Sounds like CC made a judgement call, but with possibly serious consequences had they made same call on my flight this morning...
Depending on the circumstances (e.g. blowing a guaranteed once-a-day connection), this feels like it might be "rational illegality": The chances of that happening are remote enough (particularly if the pax are swift about getting their bags out) that it's actually financially worth it to the airline to look the other way. If the cost to the airline of dealing with the blown connection would be £300 and there's a 1-in-1,000 chance of something going sufficiently wrong to trigger a lawsuit costing £25,000 there's a chance the airline will go ahead and take the chance (and bank on some customer goodwill coming out of the 999 times it doesn't go wrong to boot).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Depending on the circumstances (e.g. blowing a guaranteed once-a-day connection), this feels like it might be "rational illegality": The chances of that happening are remote enough (particularly if the pax are swift about getting their bags out) that it's actually financially worth it to the airline to look the other way. If the cost to the airline of dealing with the blown connection would be £300 and there's a 1-in-1,000 chance of something going sufficiently wrong to trigger a lawsuit costing £25,000 there's a chance the airline will go ahead and take the chance (and bank on some customer goodwill coming out of the 999 times it doesn't go wrong to boot).
Yep, all the FA's are checking connections and have their calculators out to be sure to get the best risk for the airline !! HA !
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Yep, all the FA's are checking connections and have their calculators out to be sure to get the best risk for the airline !! HA !
The FAs might not be pulling out calculators, but it's possible that someone further up the chain did and (unofficially) passed down direction/guidance on this (deniably, of course, to CYA with the regulators). It is NOT unheard-of for FAs to know who has tight connections (in F on DL once I had the FA come by my seat and tell me "Your connection will be at this gate"; going that extra mile does happen), and it is also possible that the pax had raised the connection issue with the FA earlier in the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.