FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Virgin Atlantic DUB-LAS via LGW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1866192-virgin-atlantic-dub-las-via-lgw.html)

gerryt Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am

Virgin Atlantic DUB-LAS via LGW

Booked a flight direct with Virgin Atlantic, DUB - LGW - LAS.

DUB - LGW is on Aer Lingus (EI230) arriving in South Terminal. I have 1hr 55 min to get to the North Terminal to board the Virgin Atlantic flight to LAS (VS951).

This is all on one ticket and our luggage will be checked through to LAS at DUB.

Can somebody explain the transfer procedure at Gatwick, please?

thanks.

Ldnn1 Sep 10, 2017 11:57 am

It's pretty simple - no immigration from Ireland, so simply follow signs for the exit and go landside, take the shuttle train to the North Terminal, and assuming you already have your boarding pass, proceed straight through security and to the gate.

Alternatively I think there may be an airside connections bus, but I don't know how reliable that is and I'd rather rely on the train in any case.

mrdini Sep 10, 2017 1:27 pm

I don't think there's an airside bus at Gatwick... Keep in mind Gatwick is pretty much an O&D airport.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...ing-terminals/ pretty much confirms this...

Ldnn1 Sep 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mrdini (Post 28799493)
I don't think there's an airside bus at Gatwick... Keep in mind Gatwick is pretty much an O&D airport.

@corporate-wage-slave mentions one from South-North here:

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27812803)
There is international to international flight connections at South, but no domestic flights connections in either direction. There is also an airside bus if your international connection is from North and you are hand baggage only or have through checked baggage. If you have to recheck bags or have a UK/Ireland/Islands service from North then you need to go via landside, and use the transit.

I suspect this does the reverse journey too, but I have no experience of it. The above suggests it's not available if for International<>UK/Ireland connections anyway.

In any event, as I say, I would opt for the train even if an airside bus is available. The train is very frequent and only takes 2 minutes.

craigthemif Sep 11, 2017 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 28799551)

In any event, as I say, I would opt for the train even if an airside bus is available. The train is very frequent and only takes 2 minutes.

However, passing security twice in one day is something most people try to avoid. Especially if you have a short-ish connection and might run into a queue.

I have no specific knowledge for the OP, but now that airlines are mostly confined to a specific terminal there is probably little demand for an airside bus for connections between terminals.

gerryt Sep 11, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks for all the replies.

If I go landside to get the shuttle to the North Terminal doesn't this involve passing through Border Control at the South Terminal with potential hold ups?

craigthemif Sep 11, 2017 6:40 am

No border control on Ireland arrivals.

On the way back you'd have to go through customs nonetheless.

Ldnn1 Sep 12, 2017 1:50 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 28801118)
However, passing security twice in one day is something most people try to avoid. Especially if you have a short-ish connection and might run into a queue.

But I assume that, even if there is an airside bus, one still has to go through security at the new terminal after using it - just like transferring LHR T3<>T5 for example.

If there were a dedicated U.K./Ireland --> onward connections bus, that could in theory bypass security, but from c-w-s' description I highly doubt there is.

gerryt Sep 12, 2017 4:51 am

Thanks everyone for the input.

I found info regarding the Common Travel Area which explains the background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

thanks again.

ajm1972 Oct 14, 2017 2:29 pm

LGW 747

Hi have been streaming the Virgin pages and can't seem to find an answer to

travelling to LAS would the experience flying direct on a 747 from LGW be as good as paying more miles to go from LHR via LAX?

Thanks for any advice

SlimpyJones Oct 15, 2017 2:28 am

Hi, how do you mean "as good as"? The flight experience would be the same, the only difference would be you'd have to get to LGW rather than LHR, and then presumably take an onward connection from LAX to get to Vegas.

Nottingham Nick Oct 15, 2017 2:46 am

Originally Posted by ajm1972 (Post 28932553)
Hi have been streaming the Virgin pages and can't seem to find an answer to

travelling to LAS would the experience flying direct on a 747 from LGW be as good as paying more miles to go from LHR via LAX?

Thanks for any advice

What class do you plan on travelling in ?

Upper rewards are difficult, but not impossible, to get to and from LAS.

As SlimpyJones says. the main difference will be flying out of LHR to LAX instead of LGW to LAS. If in upper, then the Clubhouses area consideration.

The LAS flight has a reputation for being a 'party bus' with lots of groups out for a good time and alcohol being consumed in abundance. This doesn't apply to every flight, but is pot luck.

If you are booking with miles, then availability may dictate rather than personal preference.

Nick

ajm1972 Oct 15, 2017 7:16 am

Sorry should of said in Upper class and seats from both LGW to LAS and LHR to LAX are available, so wandered if the LHR lounge experience and newer aircraft would make the connection worthwhile or is the product from LGW equal.

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick (Post 28933986)
What class do you plan on travelling in ?

Upper rewards are difficult, but not impossible, to get to and from LAS.

As SlimpyJones says. the main difference will be flying out of LHR to LAX instead of LGW to LAS. If in upper, then the Clubhouses area consideration.

The LAS flight has a reputation for being a 'party bus' with lots of groups out for a good time and alcohol being consumed in abundance. This doesn't apply to every flight, but is pot luck.

If you are booking with miles, then availability may dictate rather than personal preference.

Nick

CommanderB Oct 15, 2017 8:34 am

The LHR lounge is the flagship. But LGW has the same set of amenities, just smaller.

That being said, I really like the LGW clubhouse. The LAS flight is early (like all the other flights from LGW), and the mornings in the clubhouse are lovely. Lots of light coming in, great views of the tarmac & runway. Its a very pleasant experience, and I think I prefer this over LHR.

In terms of on board product, LAX has the edge, as its a dreamliner flight. LAS is a 747 with an older UC product. However, given that you sit in the nose of the plane, with only 14 seats it is a more intimate experience.

Personally, if it was me, I would do the LGW option. But its all personal preference to be honest.

Sealink Oct 16, 2017 7:50 am

LGW Clubhouse is super, with charming staff.