FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   SFO - MAN UC A330 Flight changed to "old" config (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1858276-sfo-man-uc-a330-flight-changed-old-config.html)

mkadilla Aug 2, 2017 8:07 am

SFO - MAN UC A330 Flight changed to "old" config

Just checking my Friday flight this morning. The A330-300 UC config went from 3 across to 4 across :td:. The return flight is still 3 across.

I know these things happen, but I am bummed. This is my first time in UC and I was looking forward to the new UC config (1-1-1). Nobody seems to like the old config.

CommanderB Aug 2, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah that sucks. Avoid the middle seats for a less rubbish experience.

slinky09 Aug 2, 2017 9:29 am

It's really not so bad, yes the 1-1-1 config is better but you'll be comfy, you still have a great bar, the IFE is good quality, you have a bed, and the crew will be the same and they're the best part of the experience. It's a shame, but hey you at least get the chance to compare and experience before the UCDS disappears!

car94102 Aug 3, 2017 8:39 am

Be prepared for a swap back to the old configuration for your return flight. Except for a single flight to JFK this summer, all of the A330s flying out of Manchester have been in the old configuration.

I'm flying in September, and sadly I am anticipating that I will experience a seat map swap a few days before departure, too.

mkadilla Aug 3, 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by car94102 (Post 28643139)
Be prepared for a swap back to the old configuration for your return flight. Except for a single flight to JFK this summer, all of the A330s flying out of Manchester have been in the old configuration.

I'm flying in September, and sadly I am anticipating that I will experience a seat map swap a few days before departure, too.

Good to know. I wonder why VA has not completed this conversion and why they still use the new seatmap on their website right up until a day or two before the flight? They sure seemed to make a big deal about the upgraded layout when it was announced?:confused:

car94102 Aug 3, 2017 10:49 pm

There are only 4 out of 10 A330s converted. The last plane that came out of conversion was in mid-July, and they are taking their time to send plane #5 out for conversion. I, too, was initially excited when I saw my flight was offering the new seat map. Now I just wish they would display the old map for the flights out of MAN since they are using almost exclusively equipment with the old configuration.

Currybelly Aug 4, 2017 3:38 pm

Same here, off to Boston tomorrow all new config up until today. False marketing on their part, cannot believe that this has only come to light in the last 24 hours.

Setting the bar low and looking at never booking a VA flight again.

car94102 Aug 5, 2017 12:15 am

I agree. For most A330 routes offer the old configuration with two seats blocked and let people be surprised if they unexpectedly get the new configuration. The possible exceptions to this concept would be the flights out of LGW and the LHR-DXB route since they are almost always tapped to receive the new configuration.

UKtravelbear Aug 5, 2017 2:56 am

Originally Posted by mkadilla (Post 28644512)
Good to know. I wonder why VA has not completed this conversion and why they still use the new seatmap on their website right up until a day or two before the flight? They sure seemed to make a big deal about the upgraded layout when it was announced?:confused:

it takes 3-4 weeks to do the change and they are doing one at a time. Just like many other airlines do when they do an upgrade programme you end up with a mix of configurations until it's complete.