Seat Assignment on Virgin booked via Delta

Old Jun 21, 17, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Seat Assignment on Virgin booked via Delta

hey all,

I recently booked a flight to Manchester via Delta airlines; essentially, I booked a Delta flight "operated by Virgin." I know that Virgin only allows you to choose your seat 24 hours prior to departure unless you pay for it, however, I"m wondering how that translates to not booking directly with Virgin, but with Delta? (I'm also connecting; I'm flying PHL-JFK on Delta, then JFK-MAN on Virgin) so when I check in, it'll be more than 24 hours before the Virgin flight. But also, since I booked via Delta, will I have any chance of selecting my seat? How would I go about doing so?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 17, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I'd ring Delta. Try doing it online first of course, but doubt that will work. When I've tried doing it the other way around it hasn't anyway.

When ringing as a VS Gold, usually the rep puts me on hold, calls up someone at DL, briefs them on what needs doing and then they transfer me over, DL does what I need then its all done. Hopefully you can have that experience too, albeit the other way around.
Old Jun 22, 17, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
If you are asking 'as I booked via DL do I still have to pay for the seat reservation' then yes you do as it's VS rules - as the operator - that apply not DLs (it's a common complaint on the AA board when people fly BA)

However you should be able to select for free once OLCI opens for your PHL-JFK flight even though it's more than 24 hrs before your VS flight.
Old Jun 22, 17, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
If you are asking 'as I booked via DL do I still have to pay for the seat reservation' then yes you do as it's VS rules - as the operator - that apply not DLs (it's a common complaint on the AA board when people fly BA)

However you should be able to select for free once OLCI opens for your PHL-JFK flight even though it's more than 24 hrs before your VS flight.
Thanks, that clarifies it! I figured I'd have to pay if I wanted to choose a seat more than 24 hrs in advance; when I pull up the seat map on the Delta website, though, it says "this flight is operated by a different airline; please contact them for your seat assignment" so I'm not sure I'll be able to choose a seat even once I"m checking in?
Old Jun 23, 17, 2:21 am

Programs: VS Gold
When you go to check in online you'll have to go to the Virgin site to do so as they are the operating carrier. Your Delta booking reference should work. At that point you should be able to choose a seat for free.
Old Jun 28, 17, 12:10 pm

If you add a Virgin FF number (even the basic level) to the reservation you can select seats at T-72. You can add your Delta FF number back at T-24 or at check in or at the gate and your seats will stick. Rumor has it that planes on this route are averaging 60% loads so hopefully you'll have plenty of space.
Old Jun 30, 17, 8:35 am

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Just as an addendum - if you do the REVERSE (book Delta via Virgin i.e. intra-USA on way to Virgin metal transatlantic), you have to go to DELTA to choose that seat, even though it's Virgin-codeshare-operated-by-Delta.

Confusing - since I had to speak (live) with both airlines to get all of my seats.
Old Jul 2, 17, 9:08 pm

Are DL upper-tier elites permitted Premium Economy upgrades - either at booking or T-24?

VS product is far superior to DLs Comfort Plus, so I'm guessing NO.
Old Jul 2, 17, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
Are DL upper-tier elites permitted Premium Economy upgrades - either at booking or T-24?

VS product is far superior to DLs Comfort Plus, so I'm guessing NO.
My understanding is NO. It was worth $500-$600 for me.

As an aside, since VS uses VSTERM (i.e. DLTERM) and all the other Delta crap as part of AIR4, the fare classes are actually the same as Delta (i.e. PE = W class).

On Virgin Atlantic and Australia - as with many other non-US carriers - the cabin is actually a separate, well, cabin.
Old Jul 11, 17, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Well, I've answered my own question by checking in and flying, heh. I was only able to choose my Virgin seat 24 hours before the departure of the Virgin flight. I checked in online at Delta for my entire trip, then pulled up my booking on Virgin and selected my seat 24 hours before the Virgin flight left. (speaking of which, I was quite impressed by Virgin's economy class).
Old Jul 22, 17, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
Well, I've answered my own question by checking in and flying, heh. I was only able to choose my Virgin seat 24 hours before the departure of the Virgin flight. I checked in online at Delta for my entire trip, then pulled up my booking on Virgin and selected my seat 24 hours before the Virgin flight left. (speaking of which, I was quite impressed by Virgin's economy class).
Thanks for clarifying the Virgin Atlantuc's 24-hour seat selection rule with Delta connection.

Can you share what were you so impressed about the economy class? Curious mind wants to know whether it was the seat width, onboard service, etc.?
Old Jul 22, 17, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lax2010 View Post

Thanks for clarifying the Virgin Atlantuc's 24-hour seat selection rule with Delta connection.

Can you share what were you so impressed about the economy class? Curious mind wants to know whether it was the seat width, onboard service, etc.?
Well, I've never flown Virgin before, so part of it was certainly the novelty. I don't think my economy seat was any wider or had more pitch than any other, but I did like their entire design/concept - the mood lighting and colors, the quirky cutlery (it was purple and call me tacky or silly, but I liked it), and their whole food concept - they offered a quirky menu so you had time to choose as well as descriptions, and a tiny red velvet cake in a bottle. Everybody also got an amenity kit, including those sitting in economy, which had socks, a face mask, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and earplugs, which was certainly a step above Delta. The service was attentive and polite and friendly (I just flew Delta back, and our flight attendant literally sat there checking her phone as everyone disembarked, so the difference is glaring). I don't think the onboard bar was functioning on our flight for some reason, but I did manage to snap a few pictures of it nonetheless.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: