Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Old Jul 26, 21, 11:11 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, Accor, BR, CX, AC
Originally Posted by sonetsst View Post
I didn't think VS did holds of ANA redemptions. Perhaps they dropped it now that you can book one-way ANA redemptions?
They do 1 day holds (until end of day next business day) and sometimes 3 days for weekend. I've had an issue with a Marriott transfer before and had an agent cancel and rebook my booking everyday for 2 weeks before.
Old Jul 26, 21, 11:18 am

Ive been told by a couple of agents in the past 2 months that they do not do holds
Old Jul 26, 21, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
They do 1 day holds (until end of day next business day) and sometimes 3 days for weekend. I've had an issue with a Marriott transfer before and had an agent cancel and rebook my booking everyday for 2 weeks before.
Yes, I remember reading something along those lines a year or two ago.
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
I’ve been told by a couple of agents in the past 2 months that they do not do holds…
It seems to be difficult to get consistent information.
It'd be one thing to refuse the hold if it were my fault for not having the points, but I've been waiting to get the points back for a cancelled ticket for weeks now. I'm just trying to rebook what was cancelled without losing the seats. Last month the agent on the phone even ticketed a booking before the points from a refund were back in my account, so that's even beyond a hold. And now I'm being told "tough luck", neither is possible.
Old Jul 26, 21, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
It'd be one thing to refuse the hold if it were my fault for not having the points, but I've been waiting to get the points back for a cancelled ticket for weeks now. I'm just trying to rebook what was cancelled without losing the seats. Last month the agent on the phone even ticketed a booking before the points from a refund were back in my account, so that's even beyond a hold. And now I'm being told "tough luck", neither is possible.
I don't understand why this is an issue. When I rebooked from a prior ANA cancellation I did not have the miles recredited in the interim. VS saw that the miles spent on the initial redemption (and thus available via the open ticket) equaled those on the new redemption I was requesting and took care of it right then.
Old Jul 26, 21, 1:47 pm

I don't understand why this is an issue. When I rebooked from a prior ANA cancellation I did not have the miles recredited in the interim. VS saw that the miles spent on the initial redemption (and thus available via the open ticket) equaled those on the new redemption I was requesting and took care of it right then.
Now that one-ways are possible I opted to change the return open tickets to one-ways when the outbound was available instead of booking a fake return date (which wasn't even available then for my route). However, I was told that could not be done, so they had to cancel the open tickets and rebook new tickets.

If I had been told it were possible then this would've been the third "real" booking on the same PNR, plus the temporary bookings with fake return dates to lock in the outbounds for three years running, so a total of 6 ticket numbers per PNR. This has already become very messy with "just" 4 ticket numbers per PNR so in a way I'm glad we can start with a clean slate now. It's because of all the rebookings that I'm still waiting to get the points back, because they can no longer find the orginal transaction. They claim the ticket was fully refunded two years ago when I called for the first time to rebook the date of the return flight and went from F/F to F/J, even though the PNR was active as an open ticket until a few weeks ago, and received a second ticket number in 2019, and a third and fourth ticket number last year. They can only see that the F/F was refunded, but not that the F/J was then booked with 107500 miles taken from my account back in 2019.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Now that one-ways are possible I opted to change the return open tickets to one-ways when the outbound was available instead of booking a fake return date (which wasn't even available then for my route). However, I was told that could not be done, so they had to cancel the open tickets and rebook new tickets.
I appreciate the explanation this is extremely helpful to know as I still have a ticket open and will be wary of trying to use it to book one way redemptions going forward. Best of luck getting it sorted.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:31 pm

I appreciate the explanation this is extremely helpful to know as I still have a ticket open and will be wary of trying to use it to book one way redemptions going forward. Best of luck getting it sorted.
Thanks. I opted for the open tickets last year to avoid adding onto the pile for them, as well as having to rebook before the refund would come in anyway. But I very much regret that decision, as the open tickets have caused much more grief than a cancellation would have. And that's taking into account the 4-month wait for a refund of the cash part.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:50 pm

VS shut out of NH bookings?

Has anyone been able to confirm a flight on NH using VS miles in the past month? I just tried with VS (after having done this successfully two times in the past four years), and they told me there is no availability for the flights in question despite seeing availability United and Avianca.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by thelasershow View Post
Has anyone been able to confirm a flight on NH using VS miles in the past month? I just tried with VS (after having done this successfully two times in the past four years), and they told me there is no availability for the flights in question despite seeing availability United and Avianca.
Yes, I have an ANA redemption that was ticketed on 30 June.
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:03 pm

Thanks very much. Can I ask which class of service? Might have had a bad agent and should just HUCA
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by thelasershow View Post
Thanks very much. Can I ask which class of service? Might have had a bad agent and should just HUCA
F. Round trip from east coast USA. I'd certainly suggest HUCA.
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:06 pm

Great, thanks. Almost fell out of my chair when was told no, and that she hadn't seen any ANA availability for months.
Old Jul 28, 21, 9:57 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I am using text messaging with Virgin and after a three day delay, the flight I originally requested was not available. Found another flight but they are saying its still not available either -- even though United shows it as available too (ie one first class partner ticket on that flight).
So maybe I have to HUCA and just call too. Last time it was easy to find a flight and just have them book it as they saw what I saw.
Old Jul 28, 21, 10:58 am

Having checked on the United and ANA website and even calling VS themselves today to check, I cant see any J or F availability out of LHR or FRA from now until end of June 2022.

Is this normal, or is additional availability likely to be released?
Old Jul 28, 21, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
I am using text messaging with Virgin and after a three day delay, the flight I originally requested was not available. Found another flight but they are saying its still not available either -- even though United shows it as available too (ie one first class partner ticket on that flight).
So maybe I have to HUCA and just call too. Last time it was easy to find a flight and just have them book it as they saw what I saw.
I would call again - unfortunately I've found messaging not to be fit for purpose.

Originally Posted by Mind_Mischief View Post
Having checked on the United and ANA website and even calling VS themselves today to check, I cant see any J or F availability out of LHR or FRA from now until end of June 2022.

Is this normal, or is additional availability likely to be released?
I'm seeing availability for March and April in J and F from LHR (albeit limited).

Search this Thread