Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by sfflyer415
-First Class tickets are usually pretty scarce, but you should be able to find some First and Business class award seats that far in advance. 2 First Class tickets might be tough to get, especially if it's on the Upgraded Suite.
-'1 available at this price' means just 1 ticket is available.
-You should be able to book both tickets on the same phone call.
-If you search on ANA's website, they designate the upgraded Cabins. Business Class shows "The Room," and First shows "The Suite." It looks like they're starting to fly the upgraded Cabin starting in March of next year, that's NH Flight 105 leaving from LAX.

I'd also say United has the best search engine when searching for Star Alliance Partner awards. I also suggest using Expertflyer.com, you can set an email alert for the website to tell you when an award ticket becomes available. That's how I booked 2 of my ANA flights. Good luck.
Appreciate all the info!
Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Antony Jackson
Nothing to add to the previous reply bar saying I agree with what they said about finding 2 First on the same day / flight - there are only like 8 seats in First so "giving away" two of them is very rare - but have seen it happen once.

I have twice nabbed First and Business on same flight and put my partner in Frist as I do not drink, so why waste free booze on me
I hardly slum it in Business anyway, seat becomes a bed etc. - and we would have been in our own "pods" in First anyway, so walking a few steps to talk to the other was no big deal.
Just remember First can come into Business, but Business cannot go into First.

Looking now for end of Sept from LAX to Haneda seeing:
First and Business availability on different flights on 22nd Sept
​​​​​Thanks a lot for the insight. I've seen 2 available for early September a couple weeks ago not knowing how rare it was. I'll be on the look out but maybe nabbing 1 business and 1 first may be the way to go if nothing together works out.

Last edited by dyrtydave; Oct 23, 2021 at 1:48 am
Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by roberto99
Pre-Covid, when NH ran ORD-HND and ORD-NRT daily, I would frequently see 2 and even 3 F award seats available.

Now, with only ORD-NRT operating with pax, only 1 F is released for awards. And only 2 Business award seats released.

NH105 is the 1:00 AM departure! Greatly reduced dining on that flight.

I still find the older NH seats in both Business and First to be outstanding.

dyrtydave, September is still pretty hot in Tokyo. My favorite time to visit is the first half of November.

Hmm, interesting. Reduced dining on NH105 doesn't sound worth it even if it means sitting in the new seats.

As for timing of the trip, I'm looking a little early to get a feel of availability, but I'm targeting mid to late October ideally, though early November seems like an option as well based on your recommendation.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
I've done the reduced dining on NH105 twice in F in old seats. It's not bad food-wise. You can look up the menu in advance on ANA's website. You have the same access to the expensive Hibiki 17 alcohol as daytime flights. And assuming you can get 8 hours of sleep, it is perfect to combat jetlag: leave at bedtime, eat and sleep, arrive in early morning around 5 AM ready for your first day in Tokyo.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:25 pm

What's the difference between O and F fare in the context of 120k mile redemptions for round trip first class between US and Japan?

Last edited by alany611; Oct 23, 2021 at 9:41 pm
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by alany611
What's the difference between O and F fare in the context of 120k mile redemptions for round trip first class between US and Japan?
O is the booking class for awards. F is a revenue booking class.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:39 pm

Thank you! Also, trying to understand the following:

I'm flying out of IAH. Right now I see a First Saver Award available on UA as follows:

-IAH to LAX ( United Economy)
-LAX to NRT (ANA First)

My question is, would Virgin also be able to book the same itinerary for me, or are they only able to book the LAX to NRT portion?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you! Also, trying to understand the following:

I'm flying out of IAH. Right now I see a First Saver Award available on UA as follows:

-IAH to LAX ( United Economy)
-LAX to NRT (ANA First)

My question is, would Virgin also be able to book the same itinerary for me, or are they only able to book the LAX to NRT portion?
Virgin can only book the ANA flights.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
O is the booking class for awards. F is a revenue booking class.
O is the reward fare class for NH, and F is a paid fare class. Only F will get you miles, while O doesn't (in most cases)
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm flying out of IAH.
If your dates are flexible, you could try for IAH-HND. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, just want to be sure you're aware.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:34 pm

I'm trying to experience the new Suite or Room, and as far as I know they aren't available from IAH. Is that right? I'm planning to start regularly searching (everyday, every other day, maybe multiple times a day) for O availability for all of 2022 departing from any airport in the US. My fiancee and I have never flown in higher than premium economy and this would be an amazing wedding gift/surprise for her. Thanks for your input!

Question:
When I'm searching United.com for NH award availability, how do I know if an award ticket available on the United.com website is also available for redemption through Virgin Atlantic?

For example, consider the following itineraries:
1. SFO-LAX (UA) > LAX-NRT (NH): 38.5k Miles (Economy Saver Award)
2. LAX-NRT (NH): 80k Miles (Economy Award)

Are both of the LAX-NRT (NH) Flights available for the 65k miles roundtrip redemption rate through Virgin, or only flights that show up as an Economy Saver Award on United? Thank you!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I'm trying to experience the new Suite or Room, and as far as I know they aren't available from IAH. Is that right? I'm planning to start regularly searching (everyday, every other day, maybe multiple times a day) for O availability for all of 2022 departing from any airport in the US. My fiancee and I have never flown in higher than premium economy and this would be an amazing wedding gift/surprise for her. Thanks for your input!

Question:
When I'm searching United.com for NH award availability, how do I know if an award ticket available on the United.com website is also available for redemption through Virgin Atlantic?

For example, consider the following itineraries:
1. SFO-LAX (UA) > LAX-NRT (NH): 38.5k Miles (Economy Saver Award)
2. LAX-NRT (NH): 80k Miles (Economy Award)

Are both of the LAX-NRT (NH) Flights available for the 65k miles roundtrip redemption rate through Virgin, or only flights that show up as an Economy Saver Award on United? Thank you!
As someone previous mentioned. You can not book any flight on UA. If you see any savers award on UA for NH, it will be available with VS. All partners of VS except AF, KL and DL will requires phone in booking, afaik VS will create a reservation and check with the partner for any avaialbility.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:05 am

Question for the Hive mind here.
I have got First (for partner) and Business (myself) redemption from Frankfurt to Haneda next May.
I live in Glasgow and paid for flights from Glasgow to Frankfurt, and return.
My partner is very much looking forward to trying out the new Room offering in First

Am not convinced that things are going to be open by May, so thought I would try and nab another First redemption for early November, as a backup.
I have circa 111,200 Virgin Points currently, and add to total all the time as have a Virgin credit card and use Shops Away to add more “free” points, whenever I can buy via it.

So I was chatting with the fine person that is Cosmic Girl about my backup plan for November, and she said why not increase your chances of nabbing a First seat by flying the other way, via the US.

Had not thought of this, there is the cost of getting to the US and perhaps accommodation for a night or two (I want a connecting flight with like 6 hours between times, in case of delays) but she pointed out the points could also be used on Air France / KLM……

I also have a Virgin companion voucher to use up also, not sure how that could be used in the mix – as they are only useful on certain flights with those type of rewards seats on I think.
The more I think about it, the more I get the feeling it is all too ………………. messey – am not lazy as have spend weeks / months in efforts to nab the seats we have for May, but starting to feel like too many moving parts to be comfortable with.

Anyone gone from Europe to Japan via the US – rather than the direct Europe to Japan way – how did you find it?

Last edited by Antony Jackson; Oct 26, 2021 at 6:05 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: free agent
Trying to burn my 95k VS orphan points by using it on ANA F but I couldn’t reach anyone on phone and no reply on text. Anyone have better ways to get ahold of agents faster?

they used to be good with text in past. I’m been on hold with flying club line (#4 on us number).. maybe I should press different option. Thanks for help
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Trying to burn my 95k VS orphan points by using it on ANA F but I couldn’t reach anyone on phone and no reply on text. Anyone have better ways to get ahold of agents faster?

they used to be good with text in past. I’m been on hold with flying club line (#4 on us number).. maybe I should press different option. Thanks for help
Be patient. The last time I tried whatsapp it took days to get a response. Two or three hours on hold is much better because that actually gets things done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.