Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:54 am

Hi Petdog!

I'm sorta new to this. May I know what website you're using to find the inventory for the above screenshot?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by benji7890
Hi Petdog!

I'm sorta new to this. May I know what website you're using to find the inventory for the above screenshot?
expertflyer.com
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:26 pm

What would be the option of booking from East coast (JFK or IAD) to ICN on ANA?

I have bunch of UR points which I can transfer to Flying Club. Looked like it would be much lower redemption than going through UA to book on OZ biz class (160k miles round trip)
I see that redemption chart says: 95K redemption to go to Japan and there is separate redemption table to go to ICN (35k), I DID see on the forum that if it is same day transit, there should be 1 redemption, but the chart I saw did not specify what redemption rate there is to go through to ICN. Even if I have to redeem both, I will be using 130k instead of 160k or I may even do economy redemption from HND to ICN or NRT to ICN is less than 3 hours flight.

Would it make sense to do this? Or save it and apply for bunch of Amex cards and redeem directly through ANA for OZ flight for 95k round trip?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
need some advice everybody, i was using united to search for availability from LON-HND - there is literally nothing for a year...surely there must be and im doing something really wrong here..any advice regarding methods for availabilit ysearch- much appreciated? Happy to explore ex euro options as well.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
need some advice everybody, i was using united to search for availability from LON-HND - there is literally nothing for a year...surely there must be and im doing something really wrong here..any advice regarding methods for availabilit ysearch- much appreciated? Happy to explore ex euro options as well.
How are you searching? There is availability on LHR-HND. For example, see screen shots below.

Between this and your cross-post, it's not clear what you're looking for. Are you looking for F, J, or X? How many? Only this October?

October is very close to be hoping for award availability. A quick scan of expertflyer shows only X availability in October: 10/14, 15, 21, 22, 23, 27-30. But NH award availability doesn't necessarily mean it's available for partner awards. United only shows 10/29 (see second screen shot below).

Last edited by Petdog; Aug 11, 2019 at 10:54 am Reason: folding in response to cross-post
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Petdog
How are you searching? There is availability on LHR-HND. For example, see screen shots below.

Between this and your cross-post, it's not clear what you're looking for. Are you looking for F, J, or X? How many? Only this October?

October is very close to be hoping for award availability. A quick scan of expertflyer shows only X availability in October: 10/14, 15, 21, 22, 23, 27-30. But NH award availability doesn't necessarily mean it's available for partner awards. United only shows 10/29 (see second screen shot below).

thanks for the response was on the phone to virgin to see if availability really is that scarce and appears to be so - 2 tickets on f , from lhr or fra ( as I just learnt only those locations fly f) ideally october but appears unlikely so we are flexible and could stretch Oct/Nov/dec.

but still looks rather unlikely... didnt realise it was this elusive to book!! Unless Im doing something horribly wrong still.

Last edited by mitpat474; Aug 11, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:34 am

thanks for the response was on the phone to virgin to see if availability really is that scarce and appears to be so - 2 tickets on f , from lhr or fra ( as I just learnt only those locations fly f) ideally october but appears unlikely so we are flexible and could stretch Oct/Nov/dec.

but still looks rather unlikely... didnt realise it was this elusive to book!! Unless Im doing something horribly wrong still.
You're not doing anything wrong, except hoping for availability this close in

Expertflyer shows zero availability for F LHR-HND or FRA-HND for October and November. (I only scanned to Japan.)
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Petdog
You're not doing anything wrong, except hoping for availability this close in

Expertflyer shows zero availability for F LHR-HND or FRA-HND for October and November. (I only scanned to Japan.)
And 2 seats in a premium cabin seems to be tricky at any time. A lot of success stories I've seen have only needed 1 seat.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

2 F seats on NH via VS is really tricky, and you need to get them when they are released. Frankfurt is maybe a better option as there are two daily flights.

With the new F cabin being introduced on LHR, expect a lot of people to watch availability like hawks on that route, and probably a lot of ANA's own members putting in wait list requests.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:56 pm

Based on my research in the months leading up to my booking window it looked like they don't release more than one seat at a time in F on the ex-EU flights, not even 11 months out. The only options ex-EU are to put one person in F and one in J, or one person in F on each of the ex-FRA flights and then hope they release another seat in F on either flight and then jump on it. I found one report in a random blog (don't remember which one) where a second seat opened up closer to departure but that is obviously not guaranteed.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:01 pm

Is it possible to piece together two one-ways?

Good afternoon, I'm starting my journey of leveraging VA on ANA for a trip, and have a question that I hope to get some clarity on.

Bullet point for easy scanning (hopefully):
  • For the outgoing trip, I'm trying to get from PVG to IAD
  • I'm not able to find a one-way that contain my desired connection on United.com
  • I can find availability for PVG NRT, and NRT to IAD
  • Can I call VA to line them up as one-way (that is part of the round-trip)?
  • Or do I have to follow the searchable itinerary on United.com
Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mrwangkai
Can I call VA to line them up as one-way (that is part of the round-trip)?
I mean this earnestly: Call VS and see what happens. In my experience, hold times are short and agents knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully the agent can make it work; if not, folks here may be able to offer guidance on whether the agent got it right.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

I've searched online and throughout this thread but can't seem to find a definitive answer. The two VS agents I just spoke with didn't seem to know since they said they usually deal with customers who first book J and want to upgrade to F at a later date.

If I've already booked a flight in F, downgrade to J (to better align departure dates with my girlfriend) and subsequently find availability back in F, will they allow me to move classes again? Flight isn't until April 2020. I'm fine with paying the $50 change fees each time but was hoping someone could clarify, thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by formiles
If I've already booked a flight in F, downgrade to J . . . and subsequently find availability back in F, will they allow me to move classes again?
Don't see why not. VS's T&Cs permit it.

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...ing-miles.html

4.2. Virgin Atlantic Flight Rewards

4.2.1 Once Reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of 30 for changes to international flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to international flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region. Where the Reward is a Companion Reward and the person travelling on the paying ticket changes his or her flight or class of travel, the Companion Reward may be similarly amended for the same amendment fees, subject to availability of seats and the provisions of section 4.4 of these Flying Club Terms

4.2.2 All Virgin Atlantic Reward tickets are strictly subject to availability.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

I can see an economy flight from Tokyo, Japan to London Heathrow in October. I already have a Business flight return, but am looking to change to an economy reward flight for the return leg as it returns sooner. If I take the economy flight, can I purchase an upgrade later? or using VS miles on departure?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.